Business Administration Business Administration
|Degree Offered:||Bachelor of Science in Business Administration|
|Hours Required:||120 hours for degree (24 hours for the major)|
|Minimum Cumulative GPA:||2.5 for graduation|
|Minor Available:||Yes-for non business students only|
COLLEGE: Business Administration
MAJOR: Business Administration
DEGREE OFFERED: Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
HOURS REQUIRED: 120 hours for degree (24 hours for the major)
MINIMUM CUMULATIVE GPA: 2.5 for graduation
MINOR AVAILABLE: Yes-for non business students only
ADVISOR: D'vee Buss
The business administration major is designed for students who wish to obtain a broad education in business administration rather than specializing in a specific area within the College. For the student who has an educational goal that bridges two or more areas of business, the general business administration major permits the design of a tailor-made program to fit that goal.
Admission requirements for all majors in the College are the same as those for University Admission as noted under UNL General Admission Requirements.
In addition to the College Degree Requirements, students will complete 24 hours of course work for the major.
As noted in the College Degree Requirements section, all course work for the major must be taken for a grade.
No departmental 399/499 courses may count toward the business administration major.
Specific Major Requirements
Business Core Advanced–Major (BCA-M)
Students interested in pursuing the bachelor of science degree with a major in business administration are to complete 24 hours of 300/400-level business course work for the Business Core Advanced-Major (BCA-M) to be selected from course work offered by:
- Management or Supply Chain
As part of the 24 hour requirement:
- Course work must be from the 300/400-level with the course work selected from the following approved list.
- A MINIMUM of 3 hours from each of five departments must be represented.
- A MINIMUM of 6 hours from each of three departments must be represented.
- A MINIMUM of 9 hours must be taken at the 400 level. A minimum of three departments must be represented at the 400 level.
- Departmental 499s (unless an honors thesis) may NOT be used toward the major.
Course work for the major must be selected from the following courses:
ACCT 301 Using Accounting Information (Recommended course for Business Administration students)
ACCT 308 Managerial Accounting
ACCT 309 Accounting Systems
ACCT 313 Intermediate Accounting I
ACCT 314 Intermediate Accounting II
Any 400-level accounting course work
ECON 311 Intermediate Macroeconomics
ECON 312 Intermediate Microeconomics
ECON 321 Intro to International Economics
Any 400-level economics course work
FINA 338 Principles of Individual & Corporate Risk Management
FINA 363 Investment Principles
Any 400-level finance or actuarial science course work
MNGT 361 Human Resource Management
MNGT 360 Managing Behavior in Organizations
SCMS 335 Supply Chain Decision Making Models
Any 400-level management or supply chain management course work
MRKT 347 Marketing Communication Strategy
MRKT 345 Market Research
MRKT 350 Marketing Analytics
MRKT 355 Marketing Metrics
Any 400-level marketing course work
ADDITIONAL MAJOR REQUIREMENTS
Enrollment in any upper-level course work offered by the departments requires completion of appropriate prerequisites. Refer to course descriptions for specific course prerequisites.
C- and D Grades
Same as College grade rules.
Pass/No Pass Limits
Same as College Pass/No Pass limits.
Same as College GPA requirements.
REQUIREMENTS FOR MINOR OFFERED BY DEPARTMENT
General Business Minor—Plan A Only
The minor consists of the following 18 hours:
ACCT 200 Accounting for Business Decisions (3 hrs)
ECON 200 Economic Essentials & Issues (3 hrs)
BLAW 300 Business, Government & Society (3 hrs)
FINA 300 Financial Decision Making (3 hrs)
MNGT 300 Management Essentials for Contemporary Organizations (3 hrs)
MRKT 300 Contemporary Marketing (3 hrs)
Please note the following information.
- This minor is available to all other colleges at UNL.
- Only nonbusiness students can complete this minor.
- Courses in the minor can’t be used towards a degree in business
- Prerequisites are enforced.
- No more than one course may be transferred into the minor. The number of courses is calculated on the course replaced. If ACCT 201 and ACCT 202 are used to replace ACCT 200, it is one course
- Students with previous credit in business should see their college advisor for further information.
- Credit cannot be earned in both: ACCT 201 or ACCT 202 and ACCT 200; BLAW 371 or BLAW 372 and BLAW 300; ECON 211 or ECON 212 and ECON 200; FINA 361 and FINA 300; MNGT 301 and MNGT 300; MRKT 341 and MRKT 300.
All students enrolling in CBA courses are required to meet the prerequisites listed for each course, including any specific grade or GPA requirement, to include junior standing, as well as expected completion of the BCF and BCI for enrollment in most 300 or 400-level business courses. This includes the required course work in information systems, communications, mathematics and statistics, accounting, and economics as well as marketing, finance, production, MIS, human resources, and business law prior to enrolling in course work for their major.
Business Administration majors are not eligible to add an International Business minor.