Education & Human Sciences Nutrition_Exercise & Health Sciences

  1. Intro
Nutrition_Exercise & Health Sciences

Nutrition, Exercise & Health Science

COLLEGE: Education & Human Sciences

DEPARTMENT: Nutrition & Health Science

PROGRAM: Nutrition, Exercise & Health Science

DEGREE: Bachelor of Science in Education & Human Sciences


MINIMUM CUMULATIVE GPA: 2.0 for graduation


CHIEF ADVISERs: Ben Bannon, Eric Einspahr


The Nutrition, Exercise and Health Science option is designed for those students interested in planning, conducting and managing health-related fitness and wellness programs in a variety of settings. Graduates are prepared to enter a variety of health/fitness/recreation-related positions such as: fitness/wellness programs provided by corporations for their employees; fitness, health assessment, and cardiac rehabilitation programs provided by hospitals or medical clinics; programs provided by YMCA’s, private health clubs and commercial fitness clubs; government or private agencies which provide health or fitness assessment or lifestyle behavior modification programs for employees or other groups of individuals; and community recreation centers and other health, fitness or lifestyle-related endeavors. The nutrition, exercise and health science option provides an appropriate vehicle for premedical, predental, prechiropractic and prephysical therapy majors who may be able to obtain a degree in nutrition and simultaneously meet entrance requirements for a professional program.

Degree at a Glance


ACE Requirements32

ACE 1.3

ACE 2.3

ACE 3. EDPS 330 or EDPS 459 or STAT 218 (Supporting Courses)3

ACE 4. CHEM 109 (Supporting Courses)4

ACE 5.3

ACE 6. PSYC 181 (Supporting Course)4

ACE 7.3

ACE 8.3

ACE 9. NUTR 253 (Professional Requirement)3

ACE 10. NUTR 488 (Professional Requirement)3

Professional Requirements (A grade of C or above is required)38

NUTR 100, NUTR 244, NUTR 250, NUTR 344, NUTR 384, NUTR 401, NUTR 402, NUTR 453, NUTR 455, NUTR 484 (3 hrs ea)30

NUTR 1501

NUTR 4864

FITN 1801

FITN 2222

Supporting Courses31-34

MATH 102 or MATH 103 or MATH 1062-5

BIOC 321 & BIOC 321L4

BIOS 213 & BIOS 213L4

BIOS 214 (A grade of C or above is required)5

CHEM 1104

CHEM 251 & CHEM 2534

LIFE 120 & LIFE 120L4

LIFE 121 & LIFE 121L4


Total Hours120


ACE Requirements

All UNL students will be required to complete a minimum of 3 hours of approved course work in each of the 10 designated Achievement Centered Education (ACE) student learning outcome areas. These can be viewed at Students will be provided a list of classes they can select from to meet each of the 10 ACE Student Learning Outcomes (SLO). There may be required courses within an education endorsement program that will also satisfy ACE requirements. Therefore, it is highly recommended that students contact their adviser prior to registering for ACE classes in order to insure that each of the class selections are in the best interest of the students’ academic program.

* These (*) courses required in your major, will also meet ACE Requirements.

Professional Requirements

Only grades of C or above will count toward graduation requirements for NUTR courses.

FITN 180 Introduction to Personal & Group Exercise

FITN 222 Introduction to Personal Training

NUTR 100 Nutrition, Exercise & Health

NUTR 150 Foundations in Nutrition & Health Promotion

NUTR 244 Scientific Principles of Food Preparation

NUTR 250 Human Nutrition & Metabolism

*NUTR 253 Cultural Aspects of Food & Nutrition

NUTR 344 Food & Nutrition for Healthy Living

NUTR 384 Biomechanics of Human Movement

NUTR 401 Health Behavior

NUTR 402 Facts & Fiction in Fitness & Food

NUTR 453 Nutrition & Fitness Communication Strategies

NUTR 455 Advanced Nutrition

NUTR 484 Physiology of Exercise

NUTR 486 Exercise Testing & Exercise Programming in Adult Fitness & Cardiac Rehabilitation

*NUTR 488 Practicum in Exercise & Health Behavior Planning

Supporting Courses

BIOC 321 & BIOC 321L Elements of Biochemistry & Lab

BIOS 213 & BIOS 213L Human Physiology & Lab

BIOS 214 Human Anatomy (grade of C or higher is required)

CHEM 109 General Chemistry I

CHEM 110 General Chemistry II

CHEM 251 & CHEM 253 Organic Chemistry I & Lab

*EDPS 330 Measurement & Evaluation in Nutrition, Fitness & Health Promotion or EDPS 459 Statistical Methods or STAT 218 Introduction to Statistics

LIFE 120 & LIFE 120L

LIFE 121 & LIFE 121L

MATH 102 or MATH 103 or MATH 106

*PSYC 181 Introduction to Psychology



College Admission

College Admission

Students accepted by the University must have an ACT of 20 or SAT of 950, or rank in the upper half of their high school graduating class, and have the following high school preparation to be eligible for guaranteed admission to the College of Education and Human Sciences:

  • Four years of English that include intensive reading and writing experience;
  • Two years of one foreign language;
  • Four years of mathematics, that include Algebra I, II, geometry and one year that builds on a knowledge of algebra;
  • Three years of natural sciences that include at least two years selected from biology, physics, chemistry, and earth science and one year of laboratory instruction;
  • Three years of social studies, to include at least one year of American and/or world history and one year of history, American government, and/or geography.

Transfer and Readmitted Students

Transfer students from universities or colleges outside of UNL and readmitted students seeking admission to the College of Education and Human Sciences must have an accumulated average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale or above and no high school deficiencies. Students who do not meet these requirements must enroll as deciding students in the Exploratory and Pre-Professional Advising Center or in another college. Once they have completed 12 graded hours at UNL with a minimum 2.0 grade point average, and have removed any high school deficiencies, UNL students may apply for admission to the College.

Transfer and readmitted students must meet the graduation requirements for the College of Education and Human Sciences as stated in the current catalog in effect at the time they enter or reenter the College.

Students who left the College on probation, or who were dismissed, may seek readmission to the College after two semesters by applying to the UNL Admissions Office. Readmission is not assured. However, the admissions committee is receptive to giving students a second opportunity to be successful. The committee is interested in knowing what the student has done in the intervening period that would suggest the student will be successful when readmitted. Successfully completing correspondence courses and/or community college courses is an effective way to demonstrate one’s commitment to academic success.

Transferring from Other Colleges within UNL

Students transferring to the College of Education and Human Sciences from another University of Nebraska–Lincoln college or from the Exploratory and Pre-Professional Advising Center must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0, be in good academic standing, and meet the freshman entrance requirements that exist at the time of their admission to the College of Education and Human Sciences. Students must fulfill degree requirements that exist at the time of their admission to the college, not at the time they enter UNL.

To remain current, College of Education and Human Sciences students must enroll in, and complete, at least one UNL course that will apply toward degree requirements during a 12 month period. Students who readmit following an absence of one year or more must meet all requirements in the Undergraduate Bulletin in effect at the time of readmission and enrollment. Students who transfer to another UNL college and later return to the College of Education and Human Sciences will be considered readmitted students. Students who transfer out of a teacher education program, but who continue their certification program while seeking a degree in another UNL college, are exempt from this policy.

International Students

The College of Education and Human Sciences welcomes undergraduate international students. As a part of admission to the College, international students must present a TOEFL score of 550 or higher and TSE score of 230 or higher.

Students seeking teacher education and state certification must meet the same requirements as any other undergraduate students, including the Pre-Professional Skills Test or other basic skills test approved by the Nebraska Department of Education. Students who have received a degree outside of the United States and are interested in teacher certification are required to have a transcript review completed by an approved agency not directly associated with the University of Nebraska. For more information, please contact the Student Services Center.

Removal of Deficiencies

Students admitted to the University with core deficiencies are expected to remove those deficiencies in a timely manner. Students with deficiencies are not eligible for graduation. The courses that students use to clear core deficiencies may also be used to meet ACE requirements or other graduation requirements. The Dean of the College of Education and Human Sciences will make the final decision concerning any problems or questions that may arise in satisfying requirements to remove deficiencies.

College Degree Requirements

Grade Rules

Minimum Grade Requirements

Grade requirements vary from major to major. Please see the appropriate major listing or check with your adviser regarding minimum grade requirements.

Pass/No Pass Option

CEHS students are allowed to take up to 12 hours of Pass/No Pass (P/N) credit. The college departments vary on P/N policies. Students should check with their adviser to be certain they qualify for the Pass/No Pass option.

Grade Appeals

Any student enrolled in a course in the College of Education and Human Sciences who wishes to appeal alleged unfair and prejudicial treatment by a faculty member shall present his/her appeal in writing to the Dean’s Office no later than 30 days after notice of the student’s final course grade has been mailed from campus.

Students may use and are encouraged to use the following sequential procedures to appeal the grade. The problem may be solved at any of the levels of the appeal procedure.

1. Contact the instructor. Frequently the problems can be solved at this point.

2. Submit a request to the chair of the department.

3. Take the case to the departmental Grading Appeals Committee. The Committee is contacted by the department chair.

4. Take the case to the College Appeals, Retention and Certification Committee by contacting the Dean’s Office.

The complaint will be forwarded to a committee consisting of faculty and student representatives. After a hearing, the Committee will make a written recommendation regarding the appeal. The Committee’s recommendation is binding on the appealing student and faculty member.

Transfer Credit Rules

Acceptance of Transfer Grades

  • Grades earned at UNL, UNO, UNK
  • Grades of D-, D, D+, and C- satisfy requirements in all programs in the College unless specified otherwise. Students who receive a grade of D-, D, D+, C-, however, are encouraged to retake the course.
  • Grades earned outside the University of Nebraska system

The college will accept no more than 9 credit hours of grades less than a C from any program outside the University of Nebraska system. Grades below a C can only be applied to general education requirements and elective classes.

Maximum Number of Hours for Transfer

Transfer courses are evaluated by the University and by the College to determine UNL and College course equivalencies. The College determines which courses will be accepted and how they will apply toward degree requirements. Sixty (60) is the maximum number of hours that will be accepted on transfer from a two-year college. Ninety (90) is the maximum number of hours that will be accepted on transfer from accredited four-year colleges and universities.

Courses taken 10 years before admission or readmission to the College will be evaluated by the major department to determine if it is appropriate to accept those courses for transfer credit and for application to degree requirements. Specific courses will be reviewed in keeping with the guidelines specified by each department.

Transfer Credit from Technical, Non-Accredited and Foreign Institutions

Students who desire to transfer from these institutions must have each course evaluated by the appropriate departmental representative. All rules stated above in reference to grades and maximum credit hours apply. For additional information and guidance in this process contact the Dean’s Office.

Transfer Agreements with UNO and UNK

Transfer agreements between the three institutions within the University System allow for a smooth transition for students interested in taking courses from UNO, UNK, and/or UNL. Although restrictions noted above on grades and maximum transfer hours still apply, there are some exceptions. For purposes of residency, courses from UNO and UNK fulfill these requirements. Students planning to major in a program in the college should read the specific requirements noted with individual programs. Questions about academic transfer should be addressed to the Advising Office.

Transfer Agreements with Community Colleges

Articulation agreements and “Transfer with Ease Programs” with Nebraska community colleges indicate how courses and programs will transfer to UNL and the College of Education and Human Sciences. The same guidelines noted above on the acceptance of courses, grades, and hours also apply to these institutions. Students interested in transferring from a community college should consult with their school or the Student Services Center to determine which courses will transfer to fulfill specific College of Education and Human Sciences requirements.

Courses from accredited two-year institutions will generally not be substituted for 400-level human sciences classes in the College. The 300-level courses will be considered on an individual basis by the respective departments in the College of Education and Human Sciences.

Courses taken prior to course articulation agreements will be accepted contingent upon departmental validation of the credit.

Residency Rules

Students must earn a minimum of 120 credit hours to earn a degree.

All students are expected to complete at least 30 of their final 36 hours of credit at UNL.

Degree Application Process

It is the student’s responsibility to notify Graduation Services, 109 Canfield Administration Building, early in the semester the student plans to graduate. Failure to meet the published deadline will delay graduation one full term. Students are encouraged to regularly review their degree audits with their adviser to ensure that they are on the right track toward graduation.

Bulletin Rule

Students are responsible for following the rules, policies and requirements found in the UNL Undergraduate Bulletin for the academic year in which they were last admitted to a program in the College of Education and Human Sciences. Students must complete all program requirements from a single bulletin year. In consultation with their adviser, a student may choose to move to and follow a subsequent bulletin if it is in their best interest.

Quick points about the Nutrition_Exercise & Health Sciences major/program.
Quick Points
Attribute Value
College: Education & Human Sciences
Department: Nutrition & Health Science
Program: Nutrition, Exercise & Health Science
Degree: Bachelor of Science in Education & Human Sciences
Hours Required: 120
Minimum Cumulative GPA: 2.0 for graduation
Minor Available: No