Education & Human Sciences Earth & Space Science Education (7-12)

Quick points
Attribute Value
College: Education & Human Sciences
Degree Offered: Bachelor of Science in Education & Human Sciences
Hours Required: 120
Minimum Cumulative GPA: 2.75 for graduation
Minor Available: No
Advisor: Victoria Fisher
  1. Intro

Earth & Space Science Education (7-12)

COLLEGE: Education & Human Sciences

MAJOR: Earth & Space Science Education (7-12)

DEGREE OFFERED: Bachelor of Science in Education & Human Sciences


MINIMUM CUMULATIVE GPA: 2.75 for graduation


ADVISOR: Victoria Fisher


Students who complete this single-subject endorsement are endorsed to teach any earth science course in grades 7 through 12.

General Information

The College offers undergraduate programs leading to a bachelor of science in education and human sciences degree in more than 40 different teaching endorsements. Some students in other UNL colleges choose to seek certification, completing a degree in their home college while meeting all requirements for teacher certification in the College of Education and Human Sciences.

Early field placement in public and private schools is a nationally recognized hallmark of the teacher education program in the College of Education and Human Sciences. While internships are a valuable enhancement to many students’ education, in the College of Education and Human Sciences, practicum experiences and student teaching are a critical and essential part of the teacher education curriculum and these must be successfully completed. A student’s inability to complete these field experiences, for any reason, may adversely impact the candidate’s ability to gain admission into the College or maintain enrollment in a teacher preparation program. Students unlikely or unable to complete the field experience may be counseled to seek other opportunities where success is more attainable. (See “Felony and Misdemeanor Conviction” and “Criminal History Background Check Requirement” under the OTHER heading for additional information with respect to behaviors impacting field experience participation.)

Teacher education endorsements (or majors) are divided into field endorsements or single-subject endorsements. Field endorsements certify the candidate to teach a broader range of courses compared to single-subject endorsements, which certify the candidate to teach in one subject area only. Consequently, a teacher holding a field endorsement is typically more marketable than a teacher holding a single-subject endorsement.

Candidates may also elect to complete requirements for supplemental endorsements; these are additional endorsements that can be added to a field or single-subject endorsement but cannot be taken alone. Supplemental endorsements require additional credit hours beyond those needed for the first endorsement (field or single-subject). Teachers may increase their marketability by adding supplemental endorsements.

Students may also choose to complete requirements for two endorsements simultaneously. Completing a second endorsement will require additional credit hours beyond those required for the first endorsement. Often the completion of two endorsements requires more than 120 credit hours of course work and may require additional semesters of course work. Students may contact the College Student Services Center, 105 Henzlik Hall, or their advisor, for assistance in deciding whether to complete: field or single-subject endorsements, one or more supplemental endorsements, or multiple endorsements.


All education programs have a competitive admission process. At some point in time, after meeting specific education requirements, all students must formally apply to their particular education program.

Pre-Education Status

All newly admitted students who are pursuing a teacher preparation program are classified as pre-education students until admitted to a specific Teacher Education Program.

Admission to a Teacher Education Program (TEP)

Admission to the College of Education and Human Sciences does not guarantee admission into a teacher education program. Admission to the advanced phases of teacher education is selective and, in some endorsements, highly competitive. Students must satisfy the following requirements in order to be eligible to apply to the Teacher Education Program:

1. A minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA.

2. Must have earned a minimum of 42 credit hours of college credit.

3. Completion and submission of the Teacher Education Program Application Form.

4. Completion of TEAC 331 and EDPS 251 or an approved transfer course, (must be taken prior to or be in progress, the semester in which you apply to the TEP) with a 2.5 cumulative average in the two classes, and no grade lower than C; TEAC 259 (must also be taken prior to or be in progress, the semester in which you apply to the TEP).

5. Documentation of proficiency in reading, writing, and mathematics through successful completion of the Core Academic Skills Examination, for educators, as the basic skills examination that meets the Nebraska Department of Education competency requirement.

6. Completion of one course in communication studies selected from COMM 101, COMM 209, COMM 210, COMM 283, COMM 286, or approved substitute.

7. Faculty recommendations.

8. Completion of a formal criminal history review, for CEHS, by the vender approved by CEHS (fee required).

9. Specific programs may have particular learning outcomes that students must address as part of the application process.

Admission to Student Teaching

All students who are candidates for an appropriately endorsed Nebraska Teacher’s Certificate are required to student teach. Students who plan to student teach in the fall semester must complete the student teaching application form and submit it by the preceding March 1 to the Director of Professional Experiences in 116 Henzlik Hall; students planning to student teach in the spring semester must apply by the preceding October 1. The basic program for student teaching provides for a full-day experience for an entire semester. Admission to student teaching requires the following:

1. Matriculation in a teacher education program in the College of Education and Human Sciences, the Graduate College, or dual matriculation in the College of Education and Human Sciences and another college.

2. Admission to a specific teacher education program.

3. Senior standing (89 hours or more) with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.

4. Minimum grade point average of 2.5 in the endorsement area with no grade below C.

5. A minimum grade point average of 2.5 in pre-professional and professional education courses and no grade below C in pre-professional education courses and no grade below a C+ in professional education courses.

6. All endorsement, pre-professional and professional education course work must be completed prior to student teaching. If necessary, no more than 6 hours of general education (ACE) or elective classes can be completed after the student teaching experience.

7. No additional course work can be taken during the student teaching semester unless prior approval is obtained from the Certification Officer, the Director of Professional Experiences, or the Department Chair that oversees the program.

8. Completion of a second criminal history check that will be conducted, for CEHS, by the vender approved by CEHS (fee required). For more information, contact the Director of Professional Experiences or your advisor.

Praxis Subject Assessments (formerly Praxis II)

The Nebraska Department of Education (NDE) requires that all candidates pursuing a Nebraska teaching certificate, pass the content examination identified by the NDE for each field or subject area in which a student wishes to be endorsed. It is recommended that students complete all of their content courses before taking the appropriate exam and take the exam(s) no later than the semester preceding student teaching. A listing of the required exams can be found at: Exam registration is available at


Endorsement Requirements

80% of these endorsement requirements must be completed prior to enrolling in your first professional methods course.

Degree at a Glance

ACE Requirements30-32

ACE 1. ENGL 150 or ENGL 151 or ENGL 2543

ACE 2. COMM 101 or COMM 209 or COMM 210 or COMM 283 or COMM 286 (Pre-Professional Education Requirement)3

ACE 3. MATH 106 or STAT 218 or EDPS 4593-5

ACE 4. GEOL 109 (Endorsement Area)3

ACE 5.3

ACE 6. EDPS 251 (Pre-Professional Education Requirement)3

ACE 7.3

ACE 8. TEAC 331 (Pre-Professional Education Requirement)3

ACE 9. TEAC 330 (Pre-Professional Education Requirement)3

ACE 10. TEAC 403B (Professional Education Requirement)3

Pre-Professional Education Requirements4

EDPS 2971

TEAC 2593

Earth and Space Science Endorsement Requirements20-23

(Must complete a minimum of 24 hrs.)

NOTE: No grade lower than a C.

ASTR 103 (3 hrs) or ASTR 204 & ASTR 224 (4 hrs)3-4

GEOL 1014

GEOL 106 (3 hrs) or NRES 108 (3 hrs) or SOIL 153 (4 hrs)3-4

GEOL 110 (3 hrs) or GEOL 115 (3 hrs) or GEOL 160 (4 hrs)3-4

GEOL 2113

METR 1004

Ancillary Sciences Requirements13

CHEM 109 or CHEM 1134

LIFE 120 & LIFE 120L4

PHYS 141 or [PHYS 211 & PHYS 221 ] or [MSYM 109 & MSYM 109L ]5

Professional Education Requirements24

NOTE: No grade lower than a C+ (except *).

TEAC 451V, TEAC 452V, TEAC 397V (3 hrs ea)9

EDPS 457 * (grade of C or above)3

SPED 401B3

TEAC 497V9


Total Hours120

ACE Requirements

All UNL students will be required to complete a minimum of 3 hours of approved course work in each of the 10 designated Achievement Centered Education (ACE) student learning outcome areas. These can be viewed at Students will be provided a list of classes they can select from to meet each of the 10 ACE Student Learning Outcomes (SLO). There may be required courses within an education endorsement program that will also satisfy ACE requirements. Therefore, it is highly recommended that students contact their advisor prior to registering for ACE classes in order to insure that each of the class selections are in the best interest of the students’ academic program.


Grade Requirements in Education Programs

Requirements for completion of an undergraduate degree in a teacher preparation program include a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.75. Students seeking certification must also have a 2.5 GPA in their endorsement and education courses with no grade lower than a C in their pre-professional courses and no grade lower than a C+ in their professional education courses.

Transfer Grades

Up to 9 hours of transfer credit with grades below C may be applied to the General Education requirements and elective classes in programs leading to the undergraduate degree in teacher preparation. Transfer grades of C- and D may not be used in the major/endorsement area courses or in the professional courses in teacher preparation programs.

Pass/No Pass Grade Option–for Education Students

A student enrolled at the University may, in certain instances, take a grading option of Pass/No Pass (P/N) for a specific course. A grade of pass represents satisfactory completion of a course with a grade of C or better. Credits earned under the pass grade option count toward graduation, but no grade points are tabulated in the cumulative grade point average. Likewise, a grade of No Pass is not tabulated in the grade point average. The following rules apply to students who are enrolled in teacher preparation programs who choose the Pass/No Pass option:

1. Only one course in each subject endorsement may be taken P/N; two courses in a field endorsement may be taken P/N.

2. Pre-professional and professional education classes may not be taken P/N unless a class already has a P/N designation.

3. Any course in the general education requirements unless otherwise stipulated by the department of the course may be taken P/N.

4. Total P/N credits may not exceed 12 credit hours. This limit does not include courses offered on a P/N only basis.

Students who are admitted through the Admission by Review process with core course deficiencies will have certain conditions attached to their enrollment at UNL.

Beyond Classroom Grades

In all fields of study, students are expected to attain certain grades and other academic accomplishments in the classroom. In addition to this, students preparing themselves to be teachers, counselors and for other careers in education, are also reviewed to evaluate their ability to successfully and safely interact with children, parents, potential educational employers, and the community-at-large, whose interest in the education of its children often exceeds its concern for other community and governmental services.


Student Teaching Placement

The Office of Professional Experiences is responsible for the placement of student teachers. Several factors are considered in assigning student teachers to a specific district and school. These factors include the availability of a high quality cooperating teacher and supervisor who meet the requirements of the Nebraska Department of Education and the University of Nebraska–Lincoln. Opportunities to student teach out-of-state are limited. All requests to student teach outside of the immediate Lincoln area must be individually reviewed and approved by the Director of Professional Experiences.

Removal from Field & Clinical Placements

Students participating in practicum or student teaching assignments may be removed from their assigned schools if their conduct is unprofessional and/or threatens the well-being or learning of the students in the schools. Specific guidelines for professional behaviors required of all student teachers can be found in The Student Teaching Handbook located on the CEHS website. Removal from a placement may be requested by the cooperating teacher, the building principal, or the university supervisor. The student will be removed from the school placement by the Director of Professional Experiences. In such cases, a written report stating the problem and efforts to correct the situation will be forwarded to the Director of Professional Experiences.

Any student removed from a practicum or student teaching assignment may appeal that decision by submitting a written request to the CEHS Associate Dean for Academic Affairs within 30 days of the removal. The Associate Dean will convene an appeals committee, request pertinent information from the student and the Director of Professional Experiences, and notify the student several days in advance of the scheduled appeal meeting. Students are advised of their right to seek legal advice. The Committee’s decision will be forwarded in writing to the student, to the Director of Professional Experiences, and to the Dean of the College.

Application for a Nebraska Teaching Certificate

To actively engage in the teaching profession, a candidate must fulfill both the College degree requirements and the professional certification requirements of the State of Nebraska, Department of Education. Students apply for the teaching certificate online at and apply for the baccalaureate degree in 109 Canfield Administration Building.

To be eligible for a recommendation for certification, a candidate must meet the following requirements:

1. Earn one or more undergraduate degrees from the College of Education and Human Sciences or another accredited institution approved by the College of Education and Human Sciences with a minimum 2.75 grade point average.

2. Complete the teacher education general education requirements listed for elementary, middle grades or secondary education.

3. Complete professional education requirements according to established standards.

4. Complete endorsement(s) according to established standards.

5. Successfully complete a required period of student teaching.

6. Complete application for the degree and certificate.

Graduation Without Certification

In rare cases, permission may be granted for a student to graduate without a recommendation for teacher certification (GWC). In order to qualify for GWC a student must have senior class standing and be within two semesters of student teaching. In addition the student:

  • must be unable to qualify for student teaching based on grades or other performance-based issues, or
  • be removed from student teaching, or
  • because of illness or other unusual situations, decides not to complete or is unable to complete all of the professional requirements in a teacher education program.

If a student is unable to meet all of the requirements as described in the “Admission to Student Teaching” section, such as minimum course grade requirements for courses in the professional education sequence or in one’s content area, but still earns passing grades in those courses while maintaining the grade point average minimums, then the student may be eligible to GWC.

To apply for GWC, the student should contact his or her advisor, meet with the College’s Certification Officer, and then submit a formal request to the College’s Certification Officer to be allowed to graduate without completing all certification requirements. If permission is granted, the student is expected to complete all remaining content area and professional education requirements except student teaching. The requirements include passing grades in all remaining courses while maintaining the minimum grade point averages as specified in the “Admission to Student Teaching.” If a student begins student teaching but fails to complete at least one half of the assignment, the individual will be required to complete a culminating project not to exceed 6 credit hours. The student must still meet the ACE 10 general education requirement. Contact your advisor or the Certification Officer to make sure that this requirement is satisfied.

Any student who graduates without a recommendation for certification will not be recommended for teacher certification in any state. In addition, the student will not be eligible for graduation with honors. If, at some future time, the student wishes to complete certification requirements, (s)he must first appeal for readmission to a teacher education program. At least one semester must pass after graduation before the appeal can be made. If the appeal is granted, the student will be treated as a readmitted student and will complete all requirements in effect at the time of reentry, including passing grades in all methods courses.

Education Employment Services

The Career Services Center, 230 Nebraska Union, offers a professional placement service to students and alumni who are seeking employment in education and related fields. In addition to providing on-campus interviews with select schools throughout the year, this office sponsors an annual Education Recruitment Day in the spring, which offers students an opportunity to interview with hiring officials from many schools.

Criminal History Background Check Requirement

The College of Education and Human Sciences (CEHS) has the responsibility to ensure that all students who interact with children of all ages, served by schools or other public or private agencies meet a high level of personal, professional and ethical behavior. These CEHS students must complete an official criminal history background check through the CEHS vendor, prior to participating in a field experience or internship. Students are responsible for the cost of any required criminal history background check and will be required to complete one upon admission to a program and/or an initial field placement. Eighteen months after the initial background check has been completed, undergraduate students are required to complete the CEHS self-disclosure report, a self-report collected by the college. Graduate students will be required to complete the self-disclosure report at the same time as the initial background check is conducted and again eighteen months later. If more than three years have elapsed after the initial background check is conduced, CEHS students must complete an additional background check prior to participating in a field experience or internship. Students are responsible for the cost of additional background checks.

Students with felony or any misdemeanor charges or convictions, as reported on the background check, may be contacted by the College. Depending upon the frequency and severity of the charges and/or convictions, students may be required to meet with the Director of Professional Experiences. If any new charges or convictions are acquired after a background check has been completed, students are required to report those to the Director of Professional Experiences within two weeks after the event occurs. Failure to disclose any new information concerning one's criminal history can lead to removal from the program. Continued participation in school or community field experiences in the College will be based on the type and number of convictions, the recency of those occurrences, and whether they violate the requirements of the Nebraska Department of Education and/or the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services. If the convictions are deemed to be serious in nature, a student may be prohibited from participating in a field experience in a pre-school, school or public agency setting. The student may then be referred to the department chair for further disciplinary action.

Professional and Ethical Behavior: Avoiding Risky Behaviors

Students planning to enter professions in education or the human sciences must be able to demonstrate that they are individuals of strong moral character who can make mature decisions for themselves and others. Therefore, the College of Education and Human Sciences requires that its students show a high degree of moral character and the ability to act in a responsible manner. Students must consider how the College, the profession, an employer, or the community perceive or evaluate the impact of any questionable behavior. Students' success in their profession is impaired by taking risks that are unacceptable for children, demonstrating a lack of professionalism and good judgment, and showing disregard for one's personal reputation or the integrity of the College.

The College of Education and Human Sciences reserves the right to evaluate student fitness for the profession and deny entry to or dismiss a student from any program if, through the reasonable exercise of the judgment of its Certification Officer or the Director of Professional Experiences, the College determines that the student's behavior represents a lack of integrity, questionable moral/ethical character, or represents risk to young persons. Such behaviors shall be adequate foundation to deny the student's participation in any practicum or field experience to protect the interests and safety of children. The consequences of unprofessional, unethical or risky behavior will depend upon the unique circumstances involved.

Appeal to the Dean

Should a student object to the determination made by the Certification Officer or the Director of Professional Experiences with respect to a criminal behavior or unprofessional behavior, the student may appeal to the Dean of the College, in writing, within ten days of the determination, requesting the Dean of the College to investigate and review the determination. The student's written appeal shall clearly explain the basis for the appeal. The Dean will review the student's basis for appeal and is authorized but not required to look into related concerns, whether or not sure concerns are contained in the student's written appeal. The Dean shall render a decision on the appeal as soon as reasonably possible, but in no case longer than 20 days following the initiation of the appeal. Once the Dean has completed the review and investigation, he or she shall deliver to the student and the Certification Officer or the Director of Professional Experiences a written decision, which shall be final and not subject to further appeal or review with the University of Nebraska.


College Admission

College Admission

Students accepted by the University must have an ACT of 20 or SAT of 950, or rank in the upper half of their high school graduating class, and have the following high school preparation to be eligible for guaranteed admission to the College of Education and Human Sciences:

  • Four years of English that include intensive reading and writing experience;
  • Two years of one foreign language;
  • Four years of mathematics, that include Algebra I, II, geometry and one year that builds on a knowledge of algebra;
  • Three years of natural sciences that include at least two years selected from biology, physics, chemistry, and earth science and one year of laboratory instruction;
  • Three years of social studies, to include at least one year of American and/or world history and one year of history, American government, and/or geography.

Transfer and Readmitted Students

Transfer students from universities or colleges outside of UNL and readmitted students seeking admission to the College of Education and Human Sciences must have an accumulated average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale or above and no high school deficiencies. Students who do not meet these requirements must enroll as deciding students in the Exploratory and Pre-Professional Advising Center or in another college. Once they have completed 12 graded hours at UNL with a minimum 2.0 grade point average, and have removed any high school deficiencies, UNL students may apply for admission to the College.

Transfer and readmitted students must meet the graduation requirements for the College of Education and Human Sciences as stated in the current catalog in effect at the time they enter or reenter the College.

Students who left the College on probation, or who were dismissed, may seek readmission to the College after two semesters by applying to the UNL Admissions Office. Readmission is not assured. However, the admissions committee is receptive to giving students a second opportunity to be successful. The committee is interested in knowing what the student has done in the intervening period that would suggest the student will be successful when readmitted. Successfully completing correspondence courses and/or community college courses is an effective way to demonstrate one’s commitment to academic success.

Transferring from Other Colleges within UNL

Students transferring to the College of Education and Human Sciences from another University of Nebraska–Lincoln college or from the Exploratory and Pre-Professional Advising Center must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0, be in good academic standing, and meet the freshman entrance requirements that exist at the time of their admission to the College of Education and Human Sciences. Students must fulfill degree requirements that exist at the time of their admission to the college, not at the time they enter UNL.

To remain current, College of Education and Human Sciences students must enroll in, and complete, at least one UNL course that will apply toward degree requirements during a 12 month period. Students who readmit following an absence of one year or more must meet all requirements in the Undergraduate Bulletin in effect at the time of readmission and enrollment. Students who transfer to another UNL college and later return to the College of Education and Human Sciences will be considered readmitted students. Students who transfer out of a teacher education program, but who continue their certification program while seeking a degree in another UNL college, are exempt from this policy.

International Students

The College of Education and Human Sciences welcomes undergraduate international students. As a part of admission to the College, international students must present a TOEFL score of 550 or higher and TSE score of 230 or higher.

Students seeking teacher education and state certification must meet the same requirements as any other undergraduate students, including the CORE examination or other basic skills test approved by the Nebraska Department of Education. Students who have received a degree outside of the United States and are interested in teacher certification are required to have a transcript review completed by an approved agency not directly associated with the University of Nebraska. For more information, please contact the Student Services Center.

Removal of Deficiencies

Students admitted to the University with core deficiencies are expected to remove those deficiencies in a timely manner. Students with deficiencies are not eligible for graduation. The courses that students use to clear core deficiencies may also be used to meet ACE requirements or other graduation requirements. The Dean of the College of Education and Human Sciences will make the final decision concerning any problems or questions that may arise in satisfying requirements to remove deficiencies.

College Degree Requirements

Grade Rules

Minimum Grade Requirements

Grade requirements vary from major to major. Please see the appropriate major listing or check with your advisor regarding minimum grade requirements.

Pass/No Pass Option

CEHS students are allowed to take up to 12 hours of Pass/No Pass (P/N) credit. The college departments vary on P/N policies. Students should check with their advisor to be certain they qualify for the Pass/No Pass option.

Grade Appeals

Any student enrolled in a course in the College of Education and Human Sciences who wishes to appeal alleged unfair and prejudicial treatment by a faculty member shall present his/her appeal in writing to the Dean’s Office no later than 30 days after notice of the student’s final course grade has been mailed from campus.

Students may use and are encouraged to use the following sequential procedures to appeal the grade. The problem may be solved at any of the levels of the appeal procedure.

1. Contact the instructor. Frequently the problems can be solved at this point.

2. Submit a request to the chair of the department.

3. Take the case to the departmental Grading Appeals Committee. The Committee is contacted by the department chair.

4. Take the case to the College Appeals, Retention and Certification Committee by contacting the Dean’s Office.

The complaint will be forwarded to a committee consisting of faculty and student representatives. After a hearing, the Committee will make a written recommendation regarding the appeal. The Committee’s recommendation is binding on the appealing student and faculty member.

Transfer Credit Rules

Acceptance of Transfer Grades

  • Grades earned at UNL, UNO, UNK
  • Grades of D-, D, D+, and C- satisfy requirements in all programs in the College unless specified otherwise. Students who receive a grade of D-, D, D+, C-, however, are encouraged to retake the course.
  • Grades earned outside the University of Nebraska system

The college will accept no more than 9 credit hours of grades less than a C from any program outside the University of Nebraska system. Grades below a C can only be applied to general education requirements and elective classes.

Maximum Number of Hours for Transfer

Transfer courses are evaluated by the University and by the College to determine UNL and College course equivalencies. The College determines which courses will be accepted and how they will apply toward degree requirements. Sixty (60) is the maximum number of hours that will be accepted on transfer from a two-year college. Ninety (90) is the maximum number of hours that will be accepted on transfer from accredited four-year colleges and universities.

Courses taken 10 years before admission or readmission to the College will be evaluated by the major department to determine if it is appropriate to accept those courses for transfer credit and for application to degree requirements. Specific courses will be reviewed in keeping with the guidelines specified by each department.

Transfer Credit from Technical, Non-Accredited and Foreign Institutions

Students who desire to transfer from these institutions must have each course evaluated by the appropriate departmental representative. All rules stated above in reference to grades and maximum credit hours apply. For additional information and guidance in this process contact the Dean’s Office.

Transfer Agreements with UNO and UNK

Transfer agreements between the three institutions within the University System allow for a smooth transition for students interested in taking courses from UNO, UNK, and/or UNL. Although restrictions noted above on grades and maximum transfer hours still apply, there are some exceptions. For purposes of residency, courses from UNO and UNK fulfill these requirements. Students planning to major in a program in the college should read the specific requirements noted with individual programs. Questions about academic transfer should be addressed to the Advising Office.

Transfer Agreements with Community Colleges

Articulation agreements and “Transfer with Ease Programs” with Nebraska community colleges indicate how courses and programs will transfer to UNL and the College of Education and Human Sciences. The same guidelines noted above on the acceptance of courses, grades, and hours also apply to these institutions. Students interested in transferring from a community college should consult with their school or the Student Services Center to determine which courses will transfer to fulfill specific College of Education and Human Sciences requirements.

Courses from accredited two-year institutions will generally not be substituted for 400-level human sciences classes in the College. The 300-level courses will be considered on an individual basis by the respective departments in the College of Education and Human Sciences.

Courses taken prior to course articulation agreements will be accepted contingent upon departmental validation of the credit.

Residency Rules

Students must earn a minimum of 120 credit hours to earn a degree.

All students are expected to complete at least 30 of their final 36 hours of credit at UNL.

Degree Application Process

Graduation Requirements

Students are expected to develop a clear understanding of degree requirements and to plan their course of study with a College advisor. Students requiring clarification of outstanding degree requirements should visit with a College advisor promptly.

Students should access their Degree Audit via MyRed at least once each term to review degree requirements and progress toward graduation. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure their Degree Audit accurately reflects their current College and program of study.

Students who believe their Degree Audit has errors or omissions should visit with a College advisor promptly. It is important that you resolve these matters as soon as practicable to avoid a delay in graduation.

Each student with MyRED access must submit an online Application for Graduation via MyRED for each degree to be received by:

  • The last Friday in January for May graduation
  • The last Friday in June for August graduation
  • The last Friday in September for December graduation

Students submitting an electronic Application for Graduation via MyRed will be billed a $25.00 per degree fee on their student account. Those students without MyRED access may apply for graduation in person at the Office of the University Registrar, 107 Canfield Administration Building or by mail. Applications for Graduation submitted in person or by mail must be accompanied by a check or money order in the amount of $25.00 payable to the University of Nebraska–Lincoln. Failure to submit a timely Application for Graduation may preclude the awarding of a degree in the intended term.

Your Application for Graduation and required $25.00 fee are good only for the term marked on your application. Neither your application nor your fee, are transferrable to another term. If you submit an Application for Graduation and pay the $25.00 fee for a specified term but do not complete your degree requirements in that term, you will need to reapply to graduate in a future term and incur another $25.00 fee.

Commencement ceremony information will be emailed to all degree applicants approximately one month before graduation. Each student who has applied for graduation must submit an online Commencement Attendance Form via MyRED, which will be available when the informational email is distributed.

Only those students who have applied for graduation, had the application accepted, and fulfilled all degree requirements as of the last day of the academic term may participate in the commencement ceremony for that term. Because the University of Nebraska–Lincoln has a commencement for each term, ceremony participation is allowed only in the term during which the student has properly and timely applied for graduation and fulfilled degree requirements.

Bulletin Rule

Students are responsible for following the rules, policies and requirements found in the UNL Undergraduate Bulletin for the academic year in which they were last admitted to a program in the College of Education and Human Sciences. Students must complete all program requirements from a single bulletin year. In consultation with their advisor, a student may choose to move to and follow a subsequent bulletin if it is in their best interest.


This is the site for old bulletin data. Please head to UNL's Course Catalog for updated course and program information.