Public Affairs & Community Service Gerontology Minor

Quick points
Attribute Value
College: Public Affairs & Community Service
Degree Offered: Minor only or Certificate
Hours Required: 18
Minimum Cumulative GPA: 2.0
Minor Available: Yes
Advisor: Bede Bolin
  1. Intro

Gerontology Minor

COLLEGE: Public Affairs & Community Service

MAJOR: Gerontology Minor

DEGREE OFFERED: Minor only or Certificate




ADVISOR: Bede Bolin


Minor or Certificate in Gerontology

Chair: Julie Masters, 554-3953

Lincoln Campus: Julie Masters, 402-472-0754; Advisor: Bede Bolin, 402-472-0756

Faculty: Beadle, Bolin, Boron, Holley, Kelly, Kercher, Masters

Undergraduates may earn a certificate or minor in gerontology. The certificate consists of 15 hours of specified course work plus a one-semester practicum. This option is ideal for students wanting to pursue a career in health care or a related field. The minor is comprised of 18 hours of course work. Although an undergraduate major in gerontology is not offered on the UNL campus, the certificate program may be used as a minor or concentration within several degree programs earned through other university departments. Students wanting to major in gerontology should contact the UNO campus at 402-554-2272.

Courses that meet the gerontology requirement are taught by gerontology department faculty as well as related faculty in other UNL and UNO departments. Students should consult the Department of Gerontology for the appropriate selection of courses.

Application materials for admission to the Gerontology Certificate Program can be obtained from the Department office, 310 Nebraska Hall (402-472-0754); CPACS Building 211 on the Omaha campus (402-554-2272); or at


Application materials for admission to the Gerontology Certificate Program can be obtained from the Department office, 310 Nebraska Hall (402-472-0754); CPACS Building 211 on the Omaha campus (554-2272); or at


Specific Requirements–Certificate in Gerontology

Course Work

All undergraduates who wish to earn the certificate in gerontology must complete a minimum of 15 semester hours of gerontology courses, with a core of strongly recommended courses, including Introduction to Gerontology (GERO 200), Psychology of Adult Development and Aging (GERO 446), and Programs and Services for the Elderly (GERO 467). The remaining course work will be agreed upon between the student and his or her gerontology advisor in an individually-designed program of study.


A one-semester field placement is also required. Students in most cases will earn 3 hours of academic credit for this practicum by registering for GERO 494 (Practicum). It may be possible to coordinate this experience with field placement requirements in other departments (e.g., social work or child, youth and family studies), but in all cases such arrangements must have the prior approval of the gerontology departmental practicum coordinator.

Minor in Gerontology

A minor in gerontology consists of 18 credit hours. Nine hours of core courses are required with the remaining 9 hours to be selected by the student with advice and support of the academic advisor for the department.

The core courses required for the minor will include the following:

GERO 200 Intro to Gerontology

GERO 446 Psychology of Adult Development & Aging (PSYC 446)

GERO 467 Programs & Services for the Elderly

GERO 455 Health Aspects of Aging (while not required, will be strongly encouraged for those seeking a career in health care)

Students may also select a course offered in another department that has at least 75% of its focus on the aging experience. This course can be counted toward a minor in gerontology. A practicum will not be required of students pursuing a minor.

Grade Rules

C- and D Grades

The student must earn an overall average of “C” (2.0) in courses for the minor.

Pass/No Pass Limits

No course may be taken Pass/No Pass.

Administration of the Program

The UNO Department of Gerontology administers the certificate in gerontology program for all campuses of the University of Nebraska under an agreement approved by the Board of Regents in 1977. Students at UNL, UNO, UNK, and UNMC are thus able to earn the certificate as part of their academic work at the University of Nebraska.

Students who wish to earn the certificate must go through a formal admissions procedure; admissions materials are available at the offices named above.

Undergraduates who begin work toward the certificate late in their academic program may find it difficult to schedule the necessary course work and practicum hours prior to graduation (this is especially true for BSN candidates in the College of Nursing). It is acceptable, and in many cases desirable, to complete the classroom portion of work toward the certificate while an undergraduate, receive the bachelors degree from one’s major department, and then complete work on the practicum during the semester after graduation as an unclassified postgraduate. Gerontology advisors maintain a degree of flexibility in order to work with students who have special needs.


College Admission

College Admission

Students who have been admitted to the University may apply for entrance to the College of Public Affairs and Community Service during initial registration by indicating their preference in the appropriate place on the University Application for Admission form.

Students who wish to transfer into the College from another institution or one of the schools or colleges within the University must present a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 to transfer into the College.

Students who wish to readmit to the College must also have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA.

Admission Deficiencies/Removal of Deficiencies

Students with high school admission deficiencies that have been admitted to UNL may enter the College of Public Affairs and Community Service but must remove any deficiencies according to University policy. A course used to remove a high school deficiency may also apply toward a degree in the College.

College Degree Requirements

Achievement-Centered Education (ACE)

All CPACS students on the Lincoln campus must fulfill the Achievement-Centered Education (ACE) requirements. The 30-hour ACE requirement will include a minimum of 3 hours of approved course work in each of the 10 designated Achievement-Centered Education (ACE) student learning outcome areas which can be viewed at Students will be provided a list of courses they can select from to meet each of the 10 ACE Student Learning Outcomes.

Foreign Languages/Language Requirement

Students in the College of Public Affairs and Community Service who have completed the University of Nebraska high school admission requirement of two years in the same language will not be required to complete additional language for their degree.

Minimum Hours Required for Graduation

Each candidate must present a total of at least 120 semester hours of college credit to meet graduation requirements.

Grade Rules

C- and D Grades

A minimum grade of at least C- must be earned in all required courses within the major, unless a higher grade is designated by the department/school. Completion of a course within the major with a grade below a C- will not be considered as having fulfilled prerequisite requirements for additional courses taken in the major field of study. A higher grade may be designated by the department/school.

Pass/No Pass Limits

See individual school/department limitations regarding Pass/No Pass.

GPA Requirements

Each candidate for the degree must attain a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0. A minimum grade of at least C- must be earned in all required courses within the major, unless a higher grade is designated by the department/school. All grades reported by the faculty to the registrar become a part of the student’s permanent record and are included in the computation of the grade point average, even though some of these grades may be for work done in excess of the 120 hours required for graduation.

Transfer Credit Rules

The transfer of D grades in non-major courses are accepted only from within the University of Nebraska system. Students from other institutions must present a grade of C- or above for all course work.

Generally, hours earned at an accredited college are accepted by the University, however, the college will evaluate all hours submitted for transfer to determine applicability toward the degree. A maximum of 64 hours may be transferred from a two-year college and a maximum of 90 hours from a four-year institution.

Course Level Requirements (Hour Requirement 300+)

Individual departments/schools should be consulted for the minimum number of upper division hours required.


Thirty of the last 36 hours required for the degree must be registered for and carried within the University of Nebraska system.

Independent Study and Internship Rules

Individual schools/departments should be consulted for rules regarding independent study and internship credit applicable to majors or minors.

Bulletin Rule

Choice of Catalog Policy

A student registering in the College of Public Affairs and Community Service for the first time may, except for limitations described below, complete work for the degree according to the requirements of 1) the catalog in effect the year the student enters CPACS, or 2) the catalog current at the time the student applies for the degree.

Students entering the College for the first time in the summer will be subject to the catalog for the academic year immediately following.

Students formerly in a CPACS program who drop out of the College for one year must complete requirements of the catalog current at the time of readmission.

Failure to complete the requirements for the degree within seven years after the date the student first enters the College will subject the student to graduation under the requirements of a later catalog to be approved by the Dean.

The College reserves the right to institute and make effective, after due notice, during the course of a student’s work toward a degree, any new ruling which may be necessary for the general good of the College and to substitute courses currently offered for those no longer offered.


This is the site for old bulletin data. Please head to UNL's Course Catalog for updated course and program information.