Education & Human Sciences Hospitality, Restaurant & Tourism Management (CEHS)

Quick points
Attribute Value
College: Education & Human Sciences
Degree Offered: Bachelor of Arts in Hospitality, Restaurant & Tourism Management
Hours Required: 120
Minimum Cumulative GPA: 2.0 for graduation
Minor Available: Yes
Advisor: Cameya Ramirez-Rousseau
  1. Intro

Hospitality, Restaurant & Tourism Management (CEHS)

COLLEGE: Education & Human Sciences

MAJOR: Hospitality, Restaurant & Tourism Management (CEHS)

DEGREE OFFERED: Bachelor of Arts in Hospitality, Restaurant & Tourism Management


MINIMUM CUMULATIVE GPA: 2.0 for graduation


ADVISOR: Cameya Ramirez-Rousseau


This program integrates leadership, communications and financial management into a curriculum focused on managing facilities and operations that provide hospitality services to the public. As part of the program, students also complete the Leadership and Communications minor offered by the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources (CASNR). The Hospitality, Restaurant and Tourism Management Program (HRTM) prepares individuals to serve as entry level managers and directors of hospitality operations by providing an excellent foundation in hospitality, leadership, and guest services.


Degree at a Glance

ACE Requirements30

ACE 1.3

ACE 2.3

ACE 3.3

ACE 4.3

ACE 5.3

ACE 6.3

ACE 7.3

ACE 8.3

ACE 9.3

ACE 10 (HRTM 479)3

HRTM Core Requirements45-48

ACCT 201 or **ACCT 2003

SCIL 101 Science and Decision-Making for a Complex World3

**ECON 200 or ECON 211 & ECON 2123-6

EDPS 2093

HRTM 171 & HRTM 172 & HRTM 397 (1 hr ea)3

HRTM 3103

HRTM 360 or **MRKT 300 or MRKT 341 (3 hrs ea)3

HRTM 374 & HRTM 4766

HRTM 483 or **FINA 300 (3 hrs ea)3

Select two courses from the following:6

HRTM 274, HRTM 280, HRTM 285, HRTM 289

Select one course from the following:3

HRTM 481, **BLAW 300, BLAW 371, BLAW 372, AECN 256, AECN 357

Select one course from the following:3

HORT 200, HORT 261, TMFD 121

Select one course from the following:3

JGEN 120, JGEN 200, JGEN 300

Leadership & Communications Minor18

Select three courses from the following:9

ALEC 102, ALEC 202, ALEC 302, ALEC 305

Select three courses from the following:9

ALEC 337, ALEC 388, ALEC 407, ALEC 410, ALEC 414, ALEC 466, ALEC 477, ALEC 488, AERO 331 or AERO 332 (May be substituted for Air Force ROTC student only)

HRTM Professional Electives21

Select 21 hours from the following. Must fulfill prereqs; no substitutions.

AECN 225 Agribusiness Entrepreneurship in Food Products Marketing (EAEP 225/MRKT 225) (3 hrs)

AECN 376 Rural Community Economics (3 hrs)

ALEC 428 Leadership in Public Organizations (NRES 428) (3 hrs)

CRPL 400 Introduction to Planning (3 hrs)

CRPL 420 Grant Writing & Fund-Raising (3 hrs)

CRPL 480 Economic Development Planning (3 hrs)

EAEP 101 Introductory Seminar on Opportunities in Entrepreneurship (1 hr)

EAEP 388 Agribusiness Entrepreneurship (ABUS 388/AGRO 388/ENTR 388/HORT 388) (3 hrs)

EAEP 488 Business Management for Agricultural Enterprises (ABUS 488/AGRO 488/ENTR 488/HORT 488) (3 hrs)

ENTR 121 Introduction to Entrepreneurial Management (MNGT 121) (3 hrs)

ENTR 291 Special Topics in Entrepreneurship for Non-Business Majors (3 hrs)

ENTR 321 Entrepreneurship & Innovation in Organizations (MNGT 321) (3 hrs)

ENTR 322 Family Business (MNGT 322) (3 hrs)

ENTR 421 Initiating & Managing Entrepreneurial Growth (MNGT 421) (3 hrs)

ENTR 422A Small Business Owner (MNGT 422A) (3 hrs)

FINA 307 Principles of Individual Risk Management & Insurance (3 cr)

HORT 489 Urbanization of Rural Landscapes (AGRO 489/CRPL 489) (3 hrs)

HRTM 291 Special Topics in Hospitality, Restaurant & Tourism Management (1-6 cr)

HRTM 296 Independent Study (1-6 cr)

HRTM 373 Catering (3 cr)

HRTM 391 Special Topics in Hospitality, Restaurant & Tourism Management (1-6 cr)

HRTM 396 Independent Study (1-6 cr)

HRTM 471 Vines, Wines & You (HORT 471/NUTR 471/) (3 hrs)

HRTM 472 Fine Food & Wine (3 cr)

HRTM 474 Food & Beverage Management (3 cr)

HRTM 477 Hospitality Facility Planning & Purchasing (3 cr)

HRTM 478 Tourism Resources & Development (3 cr)

HRTM 484 Human Resources Management in the Hospitality Industry (3 cr)

HRTM 485 Advanced Lodging Operations (3 cr)

HRTM 489 Advanced Event Operations (3 cr)

HRTM 495 Hospitality Management Study Tour (1-6 cr)

HRTM 496 Independent Study (1-3 cr)

**MNGT 300 Management Essentials for Contemporary Organizations (3 cr)

MNGT 320 Principles of Management (3 cr)

MNGT 361 Human Resource Management (3 cr)

MNGT 365 Managing Diversity in Organizations (3 cr)

NUTR 343 Meat CulinologyIII: Foodservice Applications (ASCI 343) (3 cr)

NUTR 372 Food Safety & Sanitation (FDST 372) (3 cr)


Total Hours120

NOTE: Students have the option to complete the Business Minor for Non-Business students offered through the College of Business Administration. Courses that meet this requirement are identified with (**). A Change of College, Degree, Major and/or Advisor (CDMA) form will need to be filled out in order to add the minor to the student’s degree audit. The CDMA form can be filled out in the CEHS Advising Center. All business classes must be taken for grade.

ACE Requirements

All UNL students will be required to complete a minimum of 3 hours of approved course work in each of the 10 designated Achievement Centered Education (ACE) student learning outcome areas. These can be viewed at Students will be provided a list of classes they can select from to meet each of the 10 ACE Student Learning Outcomes (SLO). There may be required courses within an education endorsement program that will also satisfy ACE requirements. Therefore, it is highly recommended that students contact their advisor prior to registering for ACE classes in order to insure that each of the class selections are in the best interest of the students’ academic program.


Grade Rules

Only grades of C or above will count toward graduation requirements for HRTM and NUTR courses.


The College of Education and Human Sciences offers a 19 hour minor in Hospitality, Restaurant and Tourism Management for students in CASNR and the CEHS Departments of Child, Youth and Family; Nutrition and Health Sciences; and Textile, Merchandising and Fashion Design.

Required 1 hour:

HRTM 171 Career Exploration in Hospitality Management

Select 6 hours:

HRTM 274 Introduction to Food & Beverage in the Hospitality Industry

HRTM 280 Introduction to Tourism

HRTM 285 Introduction to the Lodging Industry

HRTM 289 Introduction to the Event Industry

Select 12 hours:

HRTM 360 Hospitality & Tourism Marketing

HRTM 373 Catering

HRTM 374 Guest Services Management

HRTM 471 Vines, Wines & You (HORT 471/NUTR 471)

HRTM 472 Fine Food & Wine

HRTM 474 Food & Beverage Management

HRTM 477 Hospitality Facility Planning & Purchasing

HRTM 478 Tourism Resources & Development

HRTM 481 Legal Environment in Hospitality Management

HRTM 484 Human Resources Management in the Hospitality Industry

HRTM 485 Advanced Lodging Operations

HRTM 489 Advanced Event Operations

HRTM 495 Hospitality Management Study Tour


College Admission

College Admission

Students accepted by the University must have an ACT of 20 or SAT of 950, or rank in the upper half of their high school graduating class, and have the following high school preparation to be eligible for guaranteed admission to the College of Education and Human Sciences:

  • Four years of English that include intensive reading and writing experience;
  • Two years of one foreign language;
  • Four years of mathematics, that include Algebra I, II, geometry and one year that builds on a knowledge of algebra;
  • Three years of natural sciences that include at least two years selected from biology, physics, chemistry, and earth science and one year of laboratory instruction;
  • Three years of social studies, to include at least one year of American and/or world history and one year of history, American government, and/or geography.

Transfer and Readmitted Students

Transfer students from universities or colleges outside of UNL and readmitted students seeking admission to the College of Education and Human Sciences must have an accumulated average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale or above and no high school deficiencies. Students who do not meet these requirements must enroll as deciding students in the Exploratory and Pre-Professional Advising Center or in another college. Once they have completed 12 graded hours at UNL with a minimum 2.0 grade point average, and have removed any high school deficiencies, UNL students may apply for admission to the College.

Transfer and readmitted students must meet the graduation requirements for the College of Education and Human Sciences as stated in the current catalog in effect at the time they enter or reenter the College.

Students who left the College on probation, or who were dismissed, may seek readmission to the College after two semesters by applying to the UNL Admissions Office. Readmission is not assured. However, the admissions committee is receptive to giving students a second opportunity to be successful. The committee is interested in knowing what the student has done in the intervening period that would suggest the student will be successful when readmitted. Successfully completing correspondence courses and/or community college courses is an effective way to demonstrate one’s commitment to academic success.

Transferring from Other Colleges within UNL

Students transferring to the College of Education and Human Sciences from another University of Nebraska–Lincoln college or from the Exploratory and Pre-Professional Advising Center must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0, be in good academic standing, and meet the freshman entrance requirements that exist at the time of their admission to the College of Education and Human Sciences. Students must fulfill degree requirements that exist at the time of their admission to the college, not at the time they enter UNL.

To remain current, College of Education and Human Sciences students must enroll in, and complete, at least one UNL course that will apply toward degree requirements during a 12 month period. Students who readmit following an absence of one year or more must meet all requirements in the Undergraduate Bulletin in effect at the time of readmission and enrollment. Students who transfer to another UNL college and later return to the College of Education and Human Sciences will be considered readmitted students. Students who transfer out of a teacher education program, but who continue their certification program while seeking a degree in another UNL college, are exempt from this policy.

International Students

The College of Education and Human Sciences welcomes undergraduate international students. As a part of admission to the College, international students must present a TOEFL score of 550 or higher and TSE score of 230 or higher.

Students seeking teacher education and state certification must meet the same requirements as any other undergraduate students, including the CORE examination or other basic skills test approved by the Nebraska Department of Education. Students who have received a degree outside of the United States and are interested in teacher certification are required to have a transcript review completed by an approved agency not directly associated with the University of Nebraska. For more information, please contact the Student Services Center.

Removal of Deficiencies

Students admitted to the University with core deficiencies are expected to remove those deficiencies in a timely manner. Students with deficiencies are not eligible for graduation. The courses that students use to clear core deficiencies may also be used to meet ACE requirements or other graduation requirements. The Dean of the College of Education and Human Sciences will make the final decision concerning any problems or questions that may arise in satisfying requirements to remove deficiencies.

College Degree Requirements

Grade Rules

Minimum Grade Requirements

Grade requirements vary from major to major. Please see the appropriate major listing or check with your advisor regarding minimum grade requirements.

Pass/No Pass Option

CEHS students are allowed to take up to 12 hours of Pass/No Pass (P/N) credit. The college departments vary on P/N policies. Students should check with their advisor to be certain they qualify for the Pass/No Pass option.

Grade Appeals

Any student enrolled in a course in the College of Education and Human Sciences who wishes to appeal alleged unfair and prejudicial treatment by a faculty member shall present his/her appeal in writing to the Dean’s Office no later than 30 days after notice of the student’s final course grade has been mailed from campus.

Students may use and are encouraged to use the following sequential procedures to appeal the grade. The problem may be solved at any of the levels of the appeal procedure.

1. Contact the instructor. Frequently the problems can be solved at this point.

2. Submit a request to the chair of the department.

3. Take the case to the departmental Grading Appeals Committee. The Committee is contacted by the department chair.

4. Take the case to the College Appeals, Retention and Certification Committee by contacting the Dean’s Office.

The complaint will be forwarded to a committee consisting of faculty and student representatives. After a hearing, the Committee will make a written recommendation regarding the appeal. The Committee’s recommendation is binding on the appealing student and faculty member.

Transfer Credit Rules

Acceptance of Transfer Grades

  • Grades earned at UNL, UNO, UNK
  • Grades of D-, D, D+, and C- satisfy requirements in all programs in the College unless specified otherwise. Students who receive a grade of D-, D, D+, C-, however, are encouraged to retake the course.
  • Grades earned outside the University of Nebraska system

The college will accept no more than 9 credit hours of grades less than a C from any program outside the University of Nebraska system. Grades below a C can only be applied to general education requirements and elective classes.

Maximum Number of Hours for Transfer

Transfer courses are evaluated by the University and by the College to determine UNL and College course equivalencies. The College determines which courses will be accepted and how they will apply toward degree requirements. Sixty (60) is the maximum number of hours that will be accepted on transfer from a two-year college. Ninety (90) is the maximum number of hours that will be accepted on transfer from accredited four-year colleges and universities.

Courses taken 10 years before admission or readmission to the College will be evaluated by the major department to determine if it is appropriate to accept those courses for transfer credit and for application to degree requirements. Specific courses will be reviewed in keeping with the guidelines specified by each department.

Transfer Credit from Technical, Non-Accredited and Foreign Institutions

Students who desire to transfer from these institutions must have each course evaluated by the appropriate departmental representative. All rules stated above in reference to grades and maximum credit hours apply. For additional information and guidance in this process contact the Dean’s Office.

Transfer Agreements with UNO and UNK

Transfer agreements between the three institutions within the University System allow for a smooth transition for students interested in taking courses from UNO, UNK, and/or UNL. Although restrictions noted above on grades and maximum transfer hours still apply, there are some exceptions. For purposes of residency, courses from UNO and UNK fulfill these requirements. Students planning to major in a program in the college should read the specific requirements noted with individual programs. Questions about academic transfer should be addressed to the Advising Office.

Transfer Agreements with Community Colleges

Articulation agreements and “Transfer with Ease Programs” with Nebraska community colleges indicate how courses and programs will transfer to UNL and the College of Education and Human Sciences. The same guidelines noted above on the acceptance of courses, grades, and hours also apply to these institutions. Students interested in transferring from a community college should consult with their school or the Student Services Center to determine which courses will transfer to fulfill specific College of Education and Human Sciences requirements.

Courses from accredited two-year institutions will generally not be substituted for 400-level human sciences classes in the College. The 300-level courses will be considered on an individual basis by the respective departments in the College of Education and Human Sciences.

Courses taken prior to course articulation agreements will be accepted contingent upon departmental validation of the credit.

Residency Rules

Students must earn a minimum of 120 credit hours to earn a degree.

All students are expected to complete at least 30 of their final 36 hours of credit at UNL.

Degree Application Process

Graduation Requirements

Students are expected to develop a clear understanding of degree requirements and to plan their course of study with a College advisor. Students requiring clarification of outstanding degree requirements should visit with a College advisor promptly.

Students should access their Degree Audit via MyRed at least once each term to review degree requirements and progress toward graduation. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure their Degree Audit accurately reflects their current College and program of study.

Students who believe their Degree Audit has errors or omissions should visit with a College advisor promptly. It is important that you resolve these matters as soon as practicable to avoid a delay in graduation.

Each student with MyRED access must submit an online Application for Graduation via MyRED for each degree to be received by:

  • The last Friday in January for May graduation
  • The last Friday in June for August graduation
  • The last Friday in September for December graduation

Students submitting an electronic Application for Graduation via MyRed will be billed a $25.00 per degree fee on their student account. Those students without MyRED access may apply for graduation in person at the Office of the University Registrar, 107 Canfield Administration Building or by mail. Applications for Graduation submitted in person or by mail must be accompanied by a check or money order in the amount of $25.00 payable to the University of Nebraska–Lincoln. Failure to submit a timely Application for Graduation may preclude the awarding of a degree in the intended term.

Your Application for Graduation and required $25.00 fee are good only for the term marked on your application. Neither your application nor your fee, are transferrable to another term. If you submit an Application for Graduation and pay the $25.00 fee for a specified term but do not complete your degree requirements in that term, you will need to reapply to graduate in a future term and incur another $25.00 fee.

Commencement ceremony information will be emailed to all degree applicants approximately one month before graduation. Each student who has applied for graduation must submit an online Commencement Attendance Form via MyRED, which will be available when the informational email is distributed.

Only those students who have applied for graduation, had the application accepted, and fulfilled all degree requirements as of the last day of the academic term may participate in the commencement ceremony for that term. Because the University of Nebraska–Lincoln has a commencement for each term, ceremony participation is allowed only in the term during which the student has properly and timely applied for graduation and fulfilled degree requirements.

Bulletin Rule

Students are responsible for following the rules, policies and requirements found in the UNL Undergraduate Bulletin for the academic year in which they were last admitted to a program in the College of Education and Human Sciences. Students must complete all program requirements from a single bulletin year. In consultation with their advisor, a student may choose to move to and follow a subsequent bulletin if it is in their best interest.


This is the site for old bulletin data. Please head to UNL's Course Catalog for updated course and program information.