Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources Insect Science

Quick points
Attribute Value
College: Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources
Degree Offered: Bachelor of Science in Insect Science
Hours Required: 120
Minimum Cumulative GPA: 2.0 for graduation
Minor Available: Yes
Advisor: Tom Weissling
  1. Intro

Insect Science

COLLEGE: Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources

MAJOR: Insect Science

DEGREE OFFERED: Bachelor of Science in Insect Science


MINIMUM CUMULATIVE GPA: 2.0 for graduation


ADVISOR: Tom Weissling


Coordinator: Tom Weissling, 214 Entomology Hall,


The field of insect science encompasses the agricultural, biological, and environmental sciences related to insects and their interactions with humans. Insects and their relatives are the most abundant animals on earth, are commonly found in all habitats, and are essential in maintaining our ecosystem. Insect Science offers numerous career opportunities in both basic and applied fields.

The core curriculum provides students with a balanced education focusing on insect identification, biology, structure and function, behavior, ecology, and diversity, as well as courses in mathematics, science, and the humanities. In addition to the core, there are two options from which students can select an area of focus which meets their own interest and career objectives.


Core Requirements

The following basic courses are required for majors in insect science. In addition, students must select and meet the requirements of one of the options, depending on their own individual interests and career objectives.

The minimum requirements of CASNR reflect the common core of courses that apply to students pursuing degrees in the college. Students should work with an advisor to satisfy ACE outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 10 with the college requirements.

College Integrative Course6

SCIL 101 Science and Decision-Making for a Complex World3

ENTO 485 Current Issues in Entomology (ACE 10)3

Departmental Requirements8

ENTO 115 Insect Biology (BIOS 115)3

ENTO 116 Insect Identification (BIOS 116)1

ENTO 400 Biology & Classification of Insects4

Experiential Learning for Career Development in Insect Science5

Select from the following four categories: Maximum of 3 hours from any one category.

ENTO 309 Career Experience

ENTO 395A Research Experience (Arranged through advisor)

ENTO 395B Teaching Experience (Arranged through advisor)

ENTO 395E Extension Experience (Arranged through advisor)

Mathematics and Statistics (beyond college algebra) (ACE 3)5

Select from: MATH 102, MATH 103, MATH 104, MATH 106, or STAT 218

NOTE: Proficiency at the college algebra level must be demonstrated either by a placement exam or through course work. If MATH 103 is taken, only 2 cr hrs can be counted toward this requirement.


Written Communication (ACE 1)3

Select from: ENGL 150, ENGL 151, ENGL 254; JGEN 120, JGEN 200

Communications and Interpersonal Skills (ACE 2)3

Select from: ALEC 102; COMM 109, COMM 209, COMM 286, JGEN 300

Natural Sciences12

CASNR Approved Life Sciences (ACE 4)4

Select from: BIOS 101 & BIOS 101L or LIFE 120 & LIFE 120L

CHEM 109 General Chemistry I4

BIOS 206 General Genetics or AGRO 315 Genetics4

Economics, Humanities and Social Sciences15

ECON 211 or ECON 212 or AECN 141 (ACE 6)3

ACE Courses12

Select one course each from ACE outcomes 5, 7, 8, and 9.

Total Major Requirements57

Option Requirements42-44

Free Electives19-21

Total Minimum Requirements for Graduation120

IPM and Pest Science Option

The IPM and Pest Science Option is designed for students considering careers in agriculture, agribusiness, consulting (agricultural, environmental, public health, urban), extension, state and federal government agencies (e.g., APHIS, EPA, USDA, and state departments of agriculture), horticulture, the military, food processing, and pest control. Examples of areas of focus include agronomic and horticultural pests, or urban pests. This option is also suitable as preparation for graduate studies leading to academic or research careers in applied entomology.

Departmental Courses19-21

ENTO 300 Toxins in the Environment (BIOS 300/NRES 300)3

ENTO 401 Insect Physiology3

ENTO 406 Insect Ecology (BIOS 406)3

ENTO 412 Entomology & Pest Management3

Select three of the following courses:8-9

ENTO 109 Beekeeping (2 cr)

ENTO 403 Management of Horticultural Crop Insects (3 cr)

ENTO 308 Management of Field Crop Insects (3 cr)

ENTO 409 Insect Control by Host-Plant Resistance (3 cr)

ENTO 415 Medical Entomology (3 cr)

Other Courses23

AGRI 115 Biotechnology: Food, Health, & Environment3

AGRO 153 Soil Resources (HORT 153/SOIL 153)4

AGRO 426 Invasive Plants (HORT 426/NRES 426)3

NRES 211 Introduction to Conservation Biology3

NRES 220 & NRES 222 Principles of Ecology & Lab (BIOS 220 & BIOS 222)4

PLPT 270 Biological Invaders (AGRO 270/HORT 270/NRES 270)3

PLPT 369 Introductory Plant Pathology (BIOS 369)3

Total Option Requirements42-44

Science Option

The Insect Science Option is designed for students interested in careers focusing on the basic biology of insects and other arthropods. This option is suitable for students considering any career involving entomology (e.g., academia, research, medicine, forensics, environmental quality, conservation biology, or health-related fields), but is especially appropriate preparation for entry into professional programs such as veterinary and medical schools and with many graduate school disciplines. Students pursuing this option must choose LIFE 120 & LIFE 120L and BIOS 206 in meeting the entomology degree requirements in life sciences. Completion of the Insect Science Option will also fulfill requirements for a minor in biological sciences.

Departmental Courses12

ENTO 401 Insect Physiology3

ENTO 406 Insect Ecology (BIOS 406)3

Entomology Elective6

Select from any ENTO course beyond those meeting other major requirements.

Other Courses30-31

AGRI 115 Biotechnology: Food, Health & Environment 3

LIFE 121 & LIFE 121L Fundamentals of Biology II & Lab4

BIOS 205 Genetics, Molecular & Cellular Biology Lab2

BIOS 207 Ecology & Evolution4

Biological Sciences Electives2

Select from any BIOS/LIFE course beyond those meeting other major requirements.

BIOC 321 & BIOC 321L Elements of Biochemistry & Lab4

CHEM 110 General Chemistry II4

CHEM 251 Organic Chemistry I3

PHYS 141 Elementary General Physics I (5 cr) or PHYS 151 Elements of Physics (4 cr)4-5

Total Option Requirements42-43

Students interested in graduate or professional schools in biology, medicine, or veterinary science should take:

MATH 106 Calculus I (5 cr)

An additional PHYS course and lab (5 cr)


Insect Science Minor

A minor in insect science will consist of at least 18 credit hours of entomology including at least 6 hours at the 300 level or above. BIOS 381 Invertebrate Zoology, and up to 3 hours of ENTO 496 Independent Study in Entomology, may be counted towards the minor requirements. The course of study leading to a minor in insect science must be developed in consultation with, and be approved by, an advisor in the Department of Entomology. Advisors for the minor are assigned by the Head of the Department of Entomology.


College Admission

Requirements for admission into the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources (CASNR) are consistent with general University admission requirements (one unit equals one high school year): 4 units of English, 4 units of mathematics, 3 units of natural sciences, 3 units of social studies, and 2 units of foreign language. Students must also meet performance requirements (ACT composite of 20 or higher OR combined SAT score of 950 or higher OR rank in the top one-half of graduating class; transfer students must have a 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale) cumulative grade point average and 2.0 on most recent term of attendance. For students entering the PGA Golf Management degree program, a certified golf handicap of 12 or better (e.g., USGA handicap card) or written ability (MS Word file) equivalent to a 12 or better handicap by a PGA professional or high school golf coach is required. For more information, please visit:

Admission Deficiencies/Removal of Deficiencies

Students who are admitted to CASNR with core course deficiencies must remove these deficiencies within the first 30 credit hours at UNL, or within the first calendar year at UNL, whichever takes longer, excluding foreign languages. Students have up to 60 credit hours to remove foreign language deficiencies. College-level course work taken to remove deficiencies may be used to meet degree requirements in CASNR.

Deficiencies in the required entrance subjects can be removed by completion of specified courses in the University or by correspondence.

The Office of Admissions, Alexander Building (south entrance), City Campus, provides information to new students on how deficiencies can be removed.

College Degree Requirements

Curriculum Requirements

The curriculum requirements of the College consist of three areas: ACE (Achievement-Centered Education); College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources Core; and Degree Program requirements and electives. All three areas of the College Curriculum Requirements are incorporated within the description of the Major/Degree Program sections of the bulletin. The individual major/degree program listings of classes insures that a student will meet the minimum curriculum requirements of the College.

Foreign Languages/Language Requirement

Two units of a foreign language are required. This requirement is usually met with two years of high school language.

Minimum Hours Required for Graduation

The College grants the bachelors degree in programs associated with agricultural sciences, natural resources and related programs. Students working toward a degree must earn at least 120 semester hours of credit. A minimum cumulative grade point average of C (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) must be maintained throughout the course of studies and is required for graduation.

Grade Rules

Removal of C-, D and F Grades

Only the most recent letter grade received in a given course will be used in computing a student’s cumulative grade point average if the student has completed the course more than once and previously received a grade or grades below C in that course.

The previous grade (or grades) will not be used in computation of the cumulative grade point average, but it will remain a part of the academic record and will appear on any transcript.

A student can remove from his/her cumulative average a course grade of C-, D+, D, D- or F if the student repeats the same course at the University of Nebraska and receives a grade other than P (pass), I (incomplete), N (no pass), W (withdrew), or NR (no report). If a course is no longer being offered, it is not eligible for the revised grade point average computation process.

For complete procedures and regulations, see the Office of the University Registrar website at

Pass/No Pass Limits

Students in CASNR may take any course offered on a Pass/No Pass basis within the 24-hour limitation established by the Faculty Senate. However, a department may specify that the Pass/No Pass status of its courses be limited to non-majors, or may choose to offer some courses for letter grades only.

GPA Requirements

A minimum cumulative grade point average of C (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) must be maintained throughout the course of studies and is required for graduation.

Transfer Credit Rules

To be considered for admission, a transfer student, Nebraska resident or nonresident, must have an accumulated average of C (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) and a minimum C average in the last semester of attendance at another college. Transfer students who have completed less than 12 credit hours of college study must submit either ACT or SAT scores.

Ordinarily, credits earned at an accredited college are accepted by the University. The College, however, will evaluate all hours submitted on an application for transfer and reserves the right to accept or reject any of them. Sixty is the maximum number of hours UNL will accept on transfer from a two-year college. Ninety is the maximum number of hours UNL will accept from a four-year college. Transfer credit in the degree program must be approved by the degree program advisor on a Request for Substitution Form to meet specific course requirements, group requirements, or course level requirements in the major. At least 9 hours in the major field, including the capstone course, must be completed at UNL regardless of the number of hours transferred.

The College will accept no more than 10 semester hours of C-, D+, D and D- grades from other schools. The C-, D+, D and D- grades can only be applied to free electives. This policy does not apply to the transfer of grades from UNO or UNK to UNL.

Joint Academic Transfer Programs

The College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources has agreements with many institutions to support joint academic programs. The transfer programs include dual degree programs and cooperative degree programs. Dual degree programs offer students the opportunity to receive a degree from a participating institution and also to complete requirements for a bachelor of science degree in CASNR. Cooperative programs result in a single degree from either UNL or the cooperating institution.

Dual Degree Programs

A to B Programs

The A to B Program, a joint academic program offered by the CASNR and participating community colleges, allows students to complete the first two years of a degree program at the participating community college and continue their education and study in a degree program leading toward a bachelor of science degree.

The A to B Program provides a basic knowledge plus specialized course work. Students transfer into CASNR with junior standing.

Depending on the community college, students enrolled in the A to B Program may complete the requirements for an associate of science at the community college, transfer to UNL, and work toward a bachelor of science degree.

Participating community colleges include:

  • Central Community College
  • Metropolitan Community College
  • Mid-Plains Community College
  • Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture
  • Northeast Community College
  • Southeast Community College
  • Western Nebraska Community College

3+2 Programs

Two specialized degree programs in animal science and veterinary science are offered jointly with an accredited college or school of veterinary medicine. These two programs permit CASNR animal science or veterinary science students to receive a bachelor of science degree from UNL with a degree in animal science or veterinary science after successfully completing two years of the professional curriculum in veterinary medicine at an accredited veterinary school. Students who successfully complete the 3+2 Program, must complete the “Application for Degree” form and provide transcripts to the Credentials Clerk, Office of the University Registrar, 107 Canfield Administration Building, UNL. Students should discuss these degree programs with their academic advisor.

Cooperative Degree Programs

Academic credit from UNL and a cooperating institution is applied towards a four-year degree from either UNL (UNL degree-granting program) or the cooperating institution (non UNL degree-granting program). All have approved programs of study.

UNL Degree-Granting Programs

A UNL degree-granting program is designed to provide students the opportunity to complete a two-year program of study at one of the four-year institutions listed below, transfer to CASNR and complete the requirements for a bachelor of science degree.

Chadron State College. Chadron State College offers a 2+2 program leading to a grassland ecology and management degree program.

University of Nebraska at Kearney. Transfer programs are available for students pursuing degree programs leading to a bachelor of science degree.

University of Nebraska at Omaha. The University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) cooperates with CASNR in providing four-semester pre-agricultural sciences, pre-natural resources, pre-food science and technology, pre-horticulture and pre-turfgrass and landscape management transfer programs.

A student enrolled in these programs may transfer all satisfactorily completed academic credits identified in the suggested program of study, and enter CASNR to study toward a degree program leading to a bachelor of science degree. The total program would require a minimum of four years or eight semesters (16 credit hours/semester or 120 credit hours).

UNL CASNR faculty teach horticulture and food science and technology courses at UNO to assist an urban population in better understanding the food processing, horticulture, and landscape horticulture industries.

For more information, contact Megan Lane, University of Nebraska at Omaha, 402-554-3624; and/or the CASNR Dean’s Office, 800-472-8800, ext. 2541.

Non UNL Degree-Granting Programs

The CASNR cooperates with other institutions to provide course work that is applied towards a degree at the cooperating institution. Pre-professional programs offered by CASNR allow students to complete the first two or three years of a degree program at UNL prior to transferring and completing a degree at the cooperating institution.

Chadron State College–Range Science. The 3+1 Program in range science allows Chadron State College students to pursue a range science degree through Chadron State College. Students complete three years of course work at Chadron State College and one year of specialized range science course work (32 credit hours) at CASNR.

Dordt College (Iowa) – Agricultural Education: Teaching Option. This program allows students to pursue an Agricultural Education Teaching Option degree leading toward a bachelor of science in agricultural education. Students at Dordt College will complete 90 credit hours in the Agricultural Education: Teaching Option Transfer Program.


Students must complete at least 30 of the total hours for their degree using UNL credits. At least 18 of the 30 credit hours must be in courses offered through CASNR1 (>299) including the appropriate ACE 10 degree requirement or an approved ACE 10 substitution offered through another UNL college and excluding independent study regardless of number of hours transferred. Credit earned during education abroad may be used toward the residency requirement if students register through UNL and participate in prior-approved education abroad programs. UNL open enrollment and summer independent study courses count toward residence.

1 Includes courses taught by CASNR faculty through interdisciplinary prefixes (e.g., LIFE, MBIO, ENVR, SCIL, EAEP, HRTM, ENSC) and CASNR crosslisted courses taught by non-CASNR faculty.

Online and Distance Education

There are many opportunities to earn college credit through the University of Nebraska–Lincoln Office of Online and Distance Education. Some of these credits may be applicable not only as elective credits, but also toward the fulfillment of the College’s education requirements. Credits earned through the UNL Online and Distance Education program may count toward residency. However, certain offerings may not be counted toward scholarship requirements or academic recognition criteria.

For further information, contact:

Office of Online and Distance Education

University of Nebraska–Lincoln

2100 Vine Street

Lincoln, NE 68588-8307


Independent Study Rules

Students wishing to take part in independent studies must obtain permission; complete and sign a contract form; and furnish copies of the contract to the instructor, advisor, departmental office, and the Dean’s Office. The contract should be completed before registration. Forms are available in 103 Agricultural Hall or online at the CASNR website.

Independent study projects include research, literature review or extension of course work under supervision and evaluation of a departmental faculty member.

Students may only count 12 hours of independent study toward their degrees and no more than 6 hours can be counted during their last 36 hours earned, excluding senior thesis, internships, and courses taught under an independent study number.

Other College Degree Requirements

Capstone Course Requirement

A capstone course is required for each CASNR degree program. A capstone course is defined as a course in which students are required to integrate diverse bodies of knowledge to solve a problem or formulate a policy of societal importance.

ACE Requirements

All students must fulfill the Achievement Centered Education (ACE) requirements. Information about the ACE program may be viewed at www.ace.unl.

The minimum requirements of CASNR reflect the common core of courses that apply to students pursuing degrees in the college. Students should work with an advisor to satisfy ACE outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 10 with the college requirements.

Bulletin Rule

Students must fulfill the requirements stated in the bulletin for the academic year in which they are first admitted to UNL or when they were first admitted to a Joint Academic Transfer Program. In consultation with advisors, a student may choose to follow a subsequent bulletin for any academic year in which they are admitted to and enrolled as a degree-seeking student at UNL in the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources. Students must complete all degree requirements from a single bulletin year. The bulletin which a student follows for degree requirements may not be more than 10 years old at the time of graduation.


This is the site for old bulletin data. Please head to UNL's Course Catalog for updated course and program information.