Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources Pre-Veterinary Medicine

Quick points
Attribute Value
College: Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources
Degree Offered: Non-degree seeking only
Hours Required: 60-70
Minimum Cumulative GPA: Usually 2.50
Minor Available: No
Advisor: Michael Carlson
  1. Intro

Pre-Veterinary Medicine

COLLEGE: Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources

MAJOR: Pre-Veterinary Medicine

DEGREE OFFERED: Non-degree seeking only




ADVISOR: Michael Carlson


Director: Donald L. Reynolds, School of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, 120C Vet Basic Sciences

Head: Larry Berger, Department of Animal Science, C203 Animal Sciences

Individuals wishing to pursue a career as a veterinarian must earn a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree or its equivalent from an accredited school or college of veterinary medicine (S/CVM). Qualification for admission to a S/CVM includes the successful completion of a pre-veterinary medicine program (PVET). The PVET program includes academic and non-academic requirements. This listing focuses on academic requirements. Non-academic requirements may be found on individual S/CVM websites.

Academic requirements are published on individual S/CVM websites, which include specific undergraduate courses required for admission and PVET academic performance standards. College-level courses that meet PVET requirements are specified by each S/CVM. The focus of the UNL PVET program is on courses required for admission to the Professional Program in Veterinary Medicine (PPVM), a cooperative program between the University of Nebraska–Lincoln and Iowa State University. However, it may be modified to help a student qualify for admission to any S/CVM.

The UNL PVET program is not a degree-granting program. Expect it to take 2-3 years to complete it.

Pass/No Pass credits are not accepted. PVET courses must be taken for a grade, unless the course is only offered Pass/No Pass.

A grade of a C or better is necessary to fulfill the PVET requirement. If a course is repeated to obtain a higher grade or to earn a grade of C or better, the average of all grades earned for that course will be included in the admission assessment.

The acceptability of AP, CLEP, or IB earned credits varies by S/CVM and each S/CVM publishes its policy on its website.

Each PVET student is encouraged to pursue a baccalaureate degree in a degree program of his or her choice concurrent with pursuing the PVET program. Individuals with a baccalaureate degree need only to complete the PVET program requirements to qualify for admission to a S/CVM.


PPVM Pre-Veterinary Medicine Core

NOTE: What follows fulfills the PVET requirements for the Professional Program in Veterinary Medicine (PPVM), a cooperative program between the University of Nebraska–Lincoln and Iowa State University. Criteria for admission to that program may be found on the PPVM website at Students planning to attend other veterinary schools must check with those schools to determine if there are any differences between the other veterinary school and the PPVM PVET requirements.

College Integrative Course3

SCIL 101 Science and Decision-Making for a Complex World3

Veterinary Science1

VBMS 101 Success in Veterinary Science1

Natural Science Courses39-43

Life Sciences8

LIFE 120 & LIFE 120L Fundamentals of Biology I & Lab (ACE 4)4

LIFE 121 & LIFE 121L Fundamentals of Biology II & Lab (ACE 4)4

NOTE: BIOS 101/101L and BIOS 112/112L or their equivalents will not satisfy this requirement.


AGRO 315 Genetics or BIOS 206 General Genetics4

Anatomy and Physiology4-8

Select from the following options:

Option 1: ASCI 240 Anatomy & Physiology of Domestic Animals (4 cr)

Option 2: BIOS 213 Human Physiology (3 cr) and BIOS 214 Human Anatomy (5 cr) or VBMS 407 Introduction to Veterinary Anatomy (4 cr)


CHEM 109 General Chemistry I (ACE 4)4

CHEM 110 General Chemistry II (ACE 4)4

CHEM 251 Organic Chemistry I3

CHEM 252 Organic Chemistry II3

CHEM 253 Organic Chemistry I Lab or CHEM 254 Organic Chemistry II Lab1


Select from:

PHYS 141 Elementary General Physics I (ACE 4) (5 cr)

PHYS 211 & PHYS 221 General Physics I & Lab (5 cr)

NOTE: PHYS 151 and MSYM 109/109L do not meet the requirement.

Biological Chemistry3

Select from:

BIOC 321 Elements of Biochemistry (3 cr)

BIOC 431 Biomolecules & Metabolism (BIOS 431/CHEM 431) (3 cr)

Mathematics and Statistics5

Five credit hours beyond MATH 101 College Algebra

Select from:

MATH 102 Trigonometry (2 cr)

MATH 103 College Algebra & Trigonometry (5 cr) (only 2 credit hours apply)

MATH 104 Applied Calculus (3 cr)

MATH 106 Calculus I (5 cr)

STAT 218 Introduction to Statistics (ACE 3) (3 cr)


Written Communication(ACE 1)6

Select two from:

ENGL 150 Writing & Inquiry (3 cr)

ENGL 151 Writing & Argument (3 cr)

ENGL 254 Writing & Communities (3 cr)

JGEN 120 Basic Business Communication (3 cr)

JGEN 200 Technical Communication I (3 cr)

JGEN 300 Technical Communication II (3 cr)

Oral Communication (ACE 2)3

Select one from:

COMM 209 Public Speaking (3 cr)

COMM 283 Interpersonal Communication (3 cr)

COMM 286 Business & Professional Communication (3 cr)

Economics (ACE 6)3

Select one from:

AECN 141 Introduction to the Economics of Agriculture (3 cr)

ECON 200 Economic Essentials and Issues (3 cr)

ECON 211/ECON 211H Principles of Macroeconomics (3 cr)

ECON 212/ECON 212H Principles of Microeconomics (3 cr)

ACE Courses12

Select one course each from ACE outcomes 5, 7, 8, and 9.


Grade Rules

Pass/No Pass Limits

All courses should be taken for a letter grade, unless the course is only offered Pass/No Pass (P/N). A course taken P/N may either be not accepted or accepted as if the student earned a C for that course.

Minimal grade requirement

A grade of at least a C must be earned in each course.


College Admission

Requirements for admission into the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources (CASNR) are consistent with general University admission requirements (one unit equals one high school year): 4 units of English, 4 units of mathematics, 3 units of natural sciences, 3 units of social studies, and 2 units of foreign language. Students must also meet performance requirements (ACT composite of 20 or higher OR combined SAT score of 950 or higher OR rank in the top one-half of graduating class; transfer students must have a 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale) cumulative grade point average and 2.0 on most recent term of attendance. For students entering the PGA Golf Management degree program, a certified golf handicap of 12 or better (e.g., USGA handicap card) or written ability (MS Word file) equivalent to a 12 or better handicap by a PGA professional or high school golf coach is required. For more information, please visit:

Admission Deficiencies/Removal of Deficiencies

Students who are admitted to CASNR with core course deficiencies must remove these deficiencies within the first 30 credit hours at UNL, or within the first calendar year at UNL, whichever takes longer, excluding foreign languages. Students have up to 60 credit hours to remove foreign language deficiencies. College-level course work taken to remove deficiencies may be used to meet degree requirements in CASNR.

Deficiencies in the required entrance subjects can be removed by completion of specified courses in the University or by correspondence.

The Office of Admissions, Alexander Building (south entrance), City Campus, provides information to new students on how deficiencies can be removed.

College Degree Requirements

Curriculum Requirements

The curriculum requirements of the College consist of three areas: ACE (Achievement-Centered Education); College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources Core; and Degree Program requirements and electives. All three areas of the College Curriculum Requirements are incorporated within the description of the Major/Degree Program sections of the bulletin. The individual major/degree program listings of classes insures that a student will meet the minimum curriculum requirements of the College.

Foreign Languages/Language Requirement

Two units of a foreign language are required. This requirement is usually met with two years of high school language.

Minimum Hours Required for Graduation

The College grants the bachelors degree in programs associated with agricultural sciences, natural resources and related programs. Students working toward a degree must earn at least 120 semester hours of credit. A minimum cumulative grade point average of C (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) must be maintained throughout the course of studies and is required for graduation.

Grade Rules

Removal of C-, D and F Grades

Only the most recent letter grade received in a given course will be used in computing a student’s cumulative grade point average if the student has completed the course more than once and previously received a grade or grades below C in that course.

The previous grade (or grades) will not be used in computation of the cumulative grade point average, but it will remain a part of the academic record and will appear on any transcript.

A student can remove from his/her cumulative average a course grade of C-, D+, D, D- or F if the student repeats the same course at the University of Nebraska and receives a grade other than P (pass), I (incomplete), N (no pass), W (withdrew), or NR (no report). If a course is no longer being offered, it is not eligible for the revised grade point average computation process.

For complete procedures and regulations, see the Office of the University Registrar website at

Pass/No Pass Limits

Students in CASNR may take any course offered on a Pass/No Pass basis within the 24-hour limitation established by the Faculty Senate. However, a department may specify that the Pass/No Pass status of its courses be limited to non-majors, or may choose to offer some courses for letter grades only.

GPA Requirements

A minimum cumulative grade point average of C (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) must be maintained throughout the course of studies and is required for graduation.

Transfer Credit Rules

To be considered for admission, a transfer student, Nebraska resident or nonresident, must have an accumulated average of C (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) and a minimum C average in the last semester of attendance at another college. Transfer students who have completed less than 12 credit hours of college study must submit either ACT or SAT scores.

Ordinarily, credits earned at an accredited college are accepted by the University. The College, however, will evaluate all hours submitted on an application for transfer and reserves the right to accept or reject any of them. Sixty is the maximum number of hours UNL will accept on transfer from a two-year college. Ninety is the maximum number of hours UNL will accept from a four-year college. Transfer credit in the degree program must be approved by the degree program advisor on a Request for Substitution Form to meet specific course requirements, group requirements, or course level requirements in the major. At least 9 hours in the major field, including the capstone course, must be completed at UNL regardless of the number of hours transferred.

The College will accept no more than 10 semester hours of C-, D+, D and D- grades from other schools. The C-, D+, D and D- grades can only be applied to free electives. This policy does not apply to the transfer of grades from UNO or UNK to UNL.

Joint Academic Transfer Programs

The College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources has agreements with many institutions to support joint academic programs. The transfer programs include dual degree programs and cooperative degree programs. Dual degree programs offer students the opportunity to receive a degree from a participating institution and also to complete requirements for a bachelor of science degree in CASNR. Cooperative programs result in a single degree from either UNL or the cooperating institution.

Dual Degree Programs

A to B Programs

The A to B Program, a joint academic program offered by the CASNR and participating community colleges, allows students to complete the first two years of a degree program at the participating community college and continue their education and study in a degree program leading toward a bachelor of science degree.

The A to B Program provides a basic knowledge plus specialized course work. Students transfer into CASNR with junior standing.

Depending on the community college, students enrolled in the A to B Program may complete the requirements for an associate of science at the community college, transfer to UNL, and work toward a bachelor of science degree.

Participating community colleges include:

  • Central Community College
  • Metropolitan Community College
  • Mid-Plains Community College
  • Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture
  • Northeast Community College
  • Southeast Community College
  • Western Nebraska Community College

3+2 Programs

Two specialized degree programs in animal science and veterinary science are offered jointly with an accredited college or school of veterinary medicine. These two programs permit CASNR animal science or veterinary science students to receive a bachelor of science degree from UNL with a degree in animal science or veterinary science after successfully completing two years of the professional curriculum in veterinary medicine at an accredited veterinary school. Students who successfully complete the 3+2 Program, must complete the “Application for Degree” form and provide transcripts to the Credentials Clerk, Office of the University Registrar, 107 Canfield Administration Building, UNL. Students should discuss these degree programs with their academic advisor.

Cooperative Degree Programs

Academic credit from UNL and a cooperating institution is applied towards a four-year degree from either UNL (UNL degree-granting program) or the cooperating institution (non UNL degree-granting program). All have approved programs of study.

UNL Degree-Granting Programs

A UNL degree-granting program is designed to provide students the opportunity to complete a two-year program of study at one of the four-year institutions listed below, transfer to CASNR and complete the requirements for a bachelor of science degree.

Chadron State College. Chadron State College offers a 2+2 program leading to a grassland ecology and management degree program.

University of Nebraska at Kearney. Transfer programs are available for students pursuing degree programs leading to a bachelor of science degree.

University of Nebraska at Omaha. The University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) cooperates with CASNR in providing four-semester pre-agricultural sciences, pre-natural resources, pre-food science and technology, pre-horticulture and pre-turfgrass and landscape management transfer programs.

A student enrolled in these programs may transfer all satisfactorily completed academic credits identified in the suggested program of study, and enter CASNR to study toward a degree program leading to a bachelor of science degree. The total program would require a minimum of four years or eight semesters (16 credit hours/semester or 120 credit hours).

UNL CASNR faculty teach horticulture and food science and technology courses at UNO to assist an urban population in better understanding the food processing, horticulture, and landscape horticulture industries.

For more information, contact Megan Lane, University of Nebraska at Omaha, 402-554-3624; and/or the CASNR Dean’s Office, 800-472-8800, ext. 2541.

Non UNL Degree-Granting Programs

The CASNR cooperates with other institutions to provide course work that is applied towards a degree at the cooperating institution. Pre-professional programs offered by CASNR allow students to complete the first two or three years of a degree program at UNL prior to transferring and completing a degree at the cooperating institution.

Chadron State College–Range Science. The 3+1 Program in range science allows Chadron State College students to pursue a range science degree through Chadron State College. Students complete three years of course work at Chadron State College and one year of specialized range science course work (32 credit hours) at CASNR.

Dordt College (Iowa) – Agricultural Education: Teaching Option. This program allows students to pursue an Agricultural Education Teaching Option degree leading toward a bachelor of science in agricultural education. Students at Dordt College will complete 90 credit hours in the Agricultural Education: Teaching Option Transfer Program.


Students must complete at least 30 of the total hours for their degree using UNL credits. At least 18 of the 30 credit hours must be in courses offered through CASNR1 (>299) including the appropriate ACE 10 degree requirement or an approved ACE 10 substitution offered through another UNL college and excluding independent study regardless of number of hours transferred. Credit earned during education abroad may be used toward the residency requirement if students register through UNL and participate in prior-approved education abroad programs. UNL open enrollment and summer independent study courses count toward residence.

1 Includes courses taught by CASNR faculty through interdisciplinary prefixes (e.g., LIFE, MBIO, ENVR, SCIL, EAEP, HRTM, ENSC) and CASNR crosslisted courses taught by non-CASNR faculty.

Online and Distance Education

There are many opportunities to earn college credit through the University of Nebraska–Lincoln Office of Online and Distance Education. Some of these credits may be applicable not only as elective credits, but also toward the fulfillment of the College’s education requirements. Credits earned through the UNL Online and Distance Education program may count toward residency. However, certain offerings may not be counted toward scholarship requirements or academic recognition criteria.

For further information, contact:

Office of Online and Distance Education

University of Nebraska–Lincoln

2100 Vine Street

Lincoln, NE 68588-8307


Independent Study Rules

Students wishing to take part in independent studies must obtain permission; complete and sign a contract form; and furnish copies of the contract to the instructor, advisor, departmental office, and the Dean’s Office. The contract should be completed before registration. Forms are available in 103 Agricultural Hall or online at the CASNR website.

Independent study projects include research, literature review or extension of course work under supervision and evaluation of a departmental faculty member.

Students may only count 12 hours of independent study toward their degrees and no more than 6 hours can be counted during their last 36 hours earned, excluding senior thesis, internships, and courses taught under an independent study number.

Other College Degree Requirements

Capstone Course Requirement

A capstone course is required for each CASNR degree program. A capstone course is defined as a course in which students are required to integrate diverse bodies of knowledge to solve a problem or formulate a policy of societal importance.

ACE Requirements

All students must fulfill the Achievement Centered Education (ACE) requirements. Information about the ACE program may be viewed at www.ace.unl.

The minimum requirements of CASNR reflect the common core of courses that apply to students pursuing degrees in the college. Students should work with an advisor to satisfy ACE outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 10 with the college requirements.

Bulletin Rule

Students must fulfill the requirements stated in the bulletin for the academic year in which they are first admitted to UNL or when they were first admitted to a Joint Academic Transfer Program. In consultation with advisors, a student may choose to follow a subsequent bulletin for any academic year in which they are admitted to and enrolled as a degree-seeking student at UNL in the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources. Students must complete all degree requirements from a single bulletin year. The bulletin which a student follows for degree requirements may not be more than 10 years old at the time of graduation.


This is the site for old bulletin data. Please head to UNL's Course Catalog for updated course and program information.